Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

One swab testing

Posted by heather2084 
One swab testing
October 26, 2012 11:23PM
I know that testing goes through testing centers and they draw blood. I am a nurse at an ob/gyn office and a pamphlet came in for mdlabs that says they do gebetic testing for a lot of things and HD was listed. It can be a cervical swab or a buccal swab. Turn around is 24-48 hours. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it or was tested with it. It seems pretty legit too. I'm thinking of asking my dr to order it for me and my sister, as we both want to test. Here is a link to info on it

[www.mdlab.com]
Re: One swab testing
October 27, 2012 04:01PM
Very interesting.
October 30, 2012 09:42AM
I hope you get life ins before you do the testing, you know once you are tested and if it comes out positive you can't get life ins.
October 30, 2012 01:55PM
What if you pay cash for the test and it doesn't go in your record? Can you get away with it then?
October 30, 2012 03:36PM
heather-

the problem with that plan is that if you know you have the gene, and don't disclose on insurance applications, technically that's insurance fraud. if you are caught, its a serious crime... better to get the insurance, cement it in place, then take the test.
October 30, 2012 10:47PM
Gotcha. I'm definitely looking into things. I already have life insurance but no long term care.
October 31, 2012 12:59AM
Long term care insurance is really important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login