Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Shower ideas

Posted by PK 
PK
Shower ideas
October 17, 2012 09:36PM
Hi!

I am in a position to be able to remodel my bathroom soon. Looking towards the future and the possibility of being in a wheelchair someday, anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what you have done or would have done if you had the chance?

Thanks!
Pam
Re: Shower ideas
October 18, 2012 12:09PM
PK,
When my wife and I remodeled our bathroom a couple of years ago we found that we did not have enough room to everything we wanted, but were able to make several improvements that helped her to be more safe. First thing we did was get rid of the sliding glass doors and replace them with a see through shower curtain. We had a bench built across the wall facing the showerhead that is a the correct height for Tammie (she is barely five feet tall). We installed several cornor shelves at the correct height for Tammie to reach shampoo and liguid shower soap. We also installed a hand held showerhead in addition to the fixed one. Tammie uses the handheld to rinse shampoo and to direct the water away from her when shaving. We put in three grab bars. One on each side of the entrance and one longer one on the shower wall. The longer one is mounted on a slant with the high end towareds the showerhead and the low end towards the bench. Tammie can hold on to the bar and let her hand slide down it as she is in the process of sitting on the bench. The entrance to the shower still requirea a 4 inch step up, but has not been a problem with the grab bars in place. Hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login