Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

NH kicked Tim out

Posted by carla 
NH kicked Tim out
October 08, 2012 05:58PM
Hey everyone,

Well when it rains it pours. Tim got into it with his roommate and they kicked him out of the NH. He was sent to the Psychiatric unit early Sunday morning and was admitted today...all beds were full so they had him in the ER.
I am so sad, I can barely contain myself. Seriously, I don't know how much more I can take. They wished me good luck finding someplace that would take him. Square one again. God help me help my kid.

Carla
Re: NH kicked Tim out
October 08, 2012 07:36PM
So sorry to hear that... I will pray for your family...
October 08, 2012 08:21PM
OH my God, I can't tell you how sorry I am for this. Pat
October 08, 2012 08:58PM
Oh my God I am so sorry for what you are going thru, I wish I could have an answer for you, but we are on the same boat, I will praying for you and your family.
October 09, 2012 11:28AM
Is this just Tim or is this something that is HD? God, this is the fourth time he has been hospitalized. And after it's over, he's back to being a really nice guy.
My brother says it's time to give up on him and live my own life...he says that regardless of whether or not he can help what he's doing, the fact is he keeps doing it. He said I have done all I can do and I need to survive. I am just not able to process that thought.

Carla
October 09, 2012 04:27PM
Carla-

Could he be stabilized with a medication?
October 09, 2012 06:57PM
Shar he is on medication from the last time he was hospitalized, the NH doctor decided to decrease it a couple of months ago. In spite of my protests and warnings to the NH they didn't budge. So now I suppose a new doctor with new ideas about what is the matter with Tim will prescribe a new set of medications that may or may not be effective. This is like falling down the rabbit hole with no idea of the way out.
I can't even think straight.
I really do appreciate being able to come here and at least receive some understanding and thoughts and prayers because they do help, very much.

Carla
eve
October 09, 2012 08:37PM
This makes me so angry to hear that the NH doc decreased his med especially against your wishes! I'm so very sorry you're going through this. I wish I had some advice. How extremely frustrating and very heartbreaking this must be.
October 10, 2012 04:57PM
Big hugs Carla (((((hugs))) ...i am so very very sorry, but it will all work out
October 10, 2012 05:04PM
Thanks Barb! I need those hugs!!
I talked to Tim today and will be going to the hospital to visit him. I have made some phone calls to try to find a place for him to live. He sounds good although he casually informed me today that he knows which apartment complex he'd like to live in.
Sometimes I want to just throw caution to the wind and let the guy do what he wants, but there's just no way. Instead of the hospital he'd be behind bars, my greatest fear for him.
I'm still hanging on...I think?

Carla
October 21, 2012 12:11AM
OK-here I am again. I promised myself that I wouldn't go on my normal rage against nursing homes. The hospital staff should be helping you with this. This should not be your responsibility alone. Not that you wouldn't do a much better job than anyone else smiling smiley I continue to be highly alarmed at how little "trained" professional staff first off do not listen to the people who know them best, and how often they fail their patients. It is beyond disgusting. Don't stop fighting. I know it's exhausting but I think most of us have to know we did our best and fought until the end. Recently I was dealing with a patient in one of our city ER's who was "dumped" by a nursing home (Shocker!). We filed multiple complaints against the facility who will very likely be penalized for doing so. Anyway, this is a tragic situation of a man who suffered a brain injury and who looked very much like some of the advanced HD patients (combative, labile, volatile). He got stuck in the ER for over 2 weeks because "no one would take him". He is now psychiatrically hospitalized even though this man really is strictly a neuro pt, So, I'm on the phone with the facility that refer to themselves as a "nursing/care home". Their staff "psychologist", says to me, "Well, he is his own guardian, so you can just let him walk out the door if you want to". The scary part was- he was serious! This patient couldn't find his way back to his room from the hall!! I hesitated for a moment, and then said, (in one of my less professional moments for sure), "Are you out of your f****** head?". He said, "Excuse me?". To which I said, "Yes. That's right.. Excuse you". I then hung up. I then removed myself from the case's treatment team, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to be objective, and that would just damage his care. I mean, I can't be exploding and swearing all over the place at work. Carla - I wish I was there to help. (minus the f-bombs). Hang in there. smiling smiley Your boys are so very lucky to have you.
October 21, 2012 11:20AM
Thanks Ellen, I needed your energy. Tim is still in the hospital, waiting for someplace. I actually think that there are some NH personnel who literally "troll" the inpatient units for patients. Of course they can feel free, once the person is placed, to kick them out to the next psych hospital and refuse to take them back. The patient only needs to be in the facility on the 1st day of the month for them to be paid. I really think our mental health and NH system is very F*#&*# up, sometimes the Fbomb is the most accurate definition!
I am still battling, but it seems to be out of my control. I have been very sick myself so not really feeling up to fighting speed, but I will never give up.

Take care,

Carla
October 21, 2012 11:40AM
Oh, Carla, I'm so very sorry for what you and Tim are going through! Don't give up, though! It also amazes me how little many people in the nursing home listen to the families, when they usually know their loved one best! In any event, would it be possible for Tim to have private room? I know Ray absolutely needed a private room and thankfully was lucky to have one. He would have been out of his mind for sure if he had had a roomate, especially considering his OCD and as the disease progressed, they had mats all over his room, it would have been impossible to have someone else in there. I hope you find some relief! Thoughts and prayers to you!
October 21, 2012 11:46AM
Michelle,

I have had limited success in securing him a private room, even though I tell the NH that he doesn't do well with a roommate. (that is evident by his behavior) I have offered to pay out of pocket, but with not to many takers.
I keep trying.
Thanks to you and everyone here for your support...seriously, I can't imagine this journey without this place and the people here!

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login