Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My older son Mike

Posted by carla 
My older son Mike
September 24, 2012 10:00AM
Hi everyone,

Well, I have posted so much on Tim and his progression with HD. Mike has now reached to place where he is unable to work. For now, he is out on STD, but he and the family are really struggling with this. I had hoped upon hope that he was doing good at work but his symptoms have made it impossible now to continue. He is worried about finances of course, but I think this marks a real psychological impact for him. He took pride in being able to work, provide for himself and this is just devastating.
Asking for prayers to lift this family up and continue down this HD road.
So sad. sad smiley

Carla
Re: My older son Mike
September 24, 2012 02:04PM
Sure will keep them in my prayers. He is so fortunate to have STD, does he have LTD?
September 24, 2012 05:47PM
Sorry to hear the news Carla. I understand what he's going through, been down that road. Tell him to keep his chin up, it will sink in after a while and you can accept it to a degree. Glad to hear about the STD and hope there is LTD. Yes, it's a finanacial hardship but what can we really do. It helped me to talk to a therapist that I trusted. I had great support at home and with friends but you just can't open up as well and a therapist is a good sounding board. Good luck to you and you're in my prayers.
Mike
September 24, 2012 06:00PM
yes he has STD and LTD but not sure what requirements must be met for the LTD. All I know is that he came really close to being fired before he went out sick, I don't expect that to improve. I am just amazed that I didn't recognize how much he was struggling. I feel very guilt stricken about that. I can only say is that I just wanted him to be doing good, prayed for him to be not progressing, but he is and my heart is sick.

Love all of you here on this forum, can't imagine what I would do without all of you.

Carla
September 24, 2012 09:57PM
Carla, he can still have quality times ahead without the concerns and worry about his job status. He needs to have his doctor document his limitations very thoroughly and very specifically. It is all in the way the report is written and submitted. There was a web site awhile back with specific explanation about wording for disability. Good luck to all.
September 25, 2012 10:22AM
So sorry to hear about your son I will keep all of you in my prayers. You have been such an inspiration to me and seem to have such a level head and great attitude. It's hard to be brave all the time and sometimes we need to cry and be sad for awhile. God Bless You All
September 25, 2012 07:10PM
ltd he will have to have his doctors and counselors send in all appt notes an answer questions .his std should last a year i think and about 8 months in he will recieve paperwork on ltd start filling out paper right away so there is no lasp in pay between std and ltd also write down the date time and name of person you talk to any questions you can email me jendoc6262@verizon.net . are you applying for social security now or after std ends . phil hardt has a step by step on how to get ok for ss check on home page good luck its all so hard
September 26, 2012 09:54AM
Hy husband did not have STD, only LTD, but if the doctor says he is not able to work the LTD carrier will cover him. If your son has LTD throught his company, most likely the LTD recipient is required to also file for SSDI. My husband's LTD carrier was contracted with Allsup and they were very knowledgeable. They did all the paperwork for me and I just had to provide them with access to my husband's medical records and a couple of interview phone calls between Allsup and my husband. It was easy and they approved his SSDI the 1st time through. Depending on your insurance carrier, the service may be provided at no cost to you or for a fee, which is set by the SSA and often is tax deductible. Check with the LTD carrier to see what their process is. The LTD carrier detemines what the monthly benefit will be and if SSDI gives you less money, then the LTD picks up the difference. www.allsup.com is the website for Allsup. There is a lot of info on the site.
September 26, 2012 04:40PM
Thanks everyone,
We have already filed for his SSDI, today in fact. Our social worker at STL COE is amazing and so is his doctor. I think this should all transition smoothly, keeping my fingers crossed. He's had enough stress and anxiety, (me too) just praying this all goes well.

Take care,

Carla
September 26, 2012 07:55PM
Carla. I am so sorry. You, both of your sons and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love, Paula.
October 01, 2012 11:11PM
I am glad you have a good doctor because that would make easier for the paperwork, my heart goes to you, I went thru 2 years ago, I went and talk to his work HR and thank god they were very helpful they help me with the paperwor for his STD and LTD which included me going and getting his doctos fill out paperwork then turn in while in STD we knew he was not going back to work so I called SSDI, they gave me an appointment that went very well between LTD and SSDI they hit around the same time because LTD is after six month without working and so SSDI, just make sure to keep up with all paperwork my god is a lot but its worth it, you will be in our prayers I do know what you are going thru and if I can help you with something just let me know, God Bless you.
October 10, 2012 08:21PM
Carla, I'm so glad things are progressing well. SSDI came through for me after a year which really surprised me. I've very paranoid about LTD carriers and so is my family. Be careful what you tell them but do not lie. Be conservative in your statements. Many have the reputation of making you fight for it even though everything was done in good faith. Some carriers have less than honorable reputations but
ERISA gives them this right. Please don't take me wrong with my message but it is a good idea to keep your guard up.

One suggestion for your son. Try physical therapy. It has helped me. Isotonic and Isometric exercise after a short period does give you a tool to battle the day.

My best to you,
Mike
October 20, 2012 11:47PM
Hi Carla- I used to sweat on a daily basis about my mom working. (can't even imagine it being a child I was worrying about). For her, it was one of the last things she had that she was proud of. Fortunately, she made it before retiring and was only working part time- but she also clearly wasn't doing "as well" as she had been. It looks like you have a good handle on what everyone needs to do next. Stay on top of it I(you always do that anyway) and his work would be wise to cooperate if and when needed. smiling smiley Hope you're doing OK through this.
October 21, 2012 11:24AM
Ellen,

I am hoping the SSDI application process will go smooth since they've added HD to the compassionate allowances. I don't know what people would do without family as Mike still has not received any STD checks from his work. We have been supporting him along with help from my sister and her husband for food, rent, utilities etc. Nothing comes easy these days. Just keep on truckin'!

Carla
October 21, 2012 11:35AM
Prayers to all of you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login