Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

A little down

Posted by wallettce 
A little down
September 18, 2012 10:11PM
I just need to tell someone about what I have been waiting for the last six month , for the VA to let me know if they could help me on paying someone to watch my husband while I work, well today I got the news that my petition was denied, becausa HD is not related to anything that he went thru while in the service, my husband was in the service for twently years he does get retired check but I am not able to take care of all the bills if I stop working. I have someone helping me for a few hours a day that I paid not to much is under the table like people says because she does not report what I pay her, I was hoping that the VA will help me so I can put someone that is more profesional but I guess I wont be able to doing is so stressful but I have to be positive some how some where I will get thru this stage, hopefully 2013 will be a better year for me and my family I stil hope, I know nobody can help me with this I just want to let it out of me so I can feel a little better , thanks .
Re: A little down
September 19, 2012 02:01PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Is he eligible for any other assitance like Social Security Disability or anyhting like that?
September 19, 2012 08:25PM
he is getting social security right now, and I am trying to keep our house just because my son just starg highschool this year and dont want to move him to another school he has been to so much this two years. Thanks God I able to work and like I said someone help me for a few hours and my mother is home with me he is not really bad right now he is able to shower, eat, get dress and the main thing he is not agresive so I am praying to continue like this for a long time.
September 20, 2012 10:50AM
Sounds like you are having a tough time and I'm thinking of you and your family.

I'm no expert, but if you have a high school student, you should be able to get assistance from SSDI for the child. Also, at some point your husband will be eligible for Medicare. With that said, I think, medicare will provide some assistance that you are seeking. If you haven't checked into it then it may certainly be worth a try. I have a friend who is disabled and uses VA. He wants to go to another specialized facility but he would have to take supplements under Medicare to do so. As I said I'm no expert but I believe these are some things I have come across that may apply to you. Good luck.

Mike
September 20, 2012 11:30AM
Also check with Easter Seals in your area. They pay nursing assistants to come into peoples homes and help with daily living.
I never knew that until my neighbor told me that this is what she does for a living. Its worth a try.
September 22, 2012 07:11PM
I'm so sorry you're down too! It can definitely be difficult trying to get help for your loved one in-home. I hope you find some relief and help eventually!
September 23, 2012 11:52AM
thank you so much it make me feel better.
September 24, 2012 10:26PM
My hubby is a 100% disabled vet and on social security, we were just told the other day that his HD is not service related, I knew this but now wondering if we will lose any benefits. The VA is still working with him, speech, walker , pt, lets just see how far it goes. Take care and keep your head up, if you do Jesus is there for you even thru this awful HD
September 26, 2012 08:52AM
First, quit paying "under the table". YOU need to be able to report these payments, not only as deductibles for income tax purposes, but also, when you do try to get government assistance, they'll want to know what you have been paying out. You need to be able to prove that it is a strain on finances. Have you checked into getting financial assistance for your son? Read somewhere you could get a check for minor children also. Worth a try to look into it, check out the social security web page. Or if you need help, let me know. I actually enjoy trying to find the small print that helps us out. Okay,, as for "quality" helpers, is there a nursing college near you? Some of the kids can get "on the job" training credit for helping, and usually for free. Also, check out local senior centers.
October 08, 2012 08:44PM
thanks everyone for all the info I really apreciate it.
October 09, 2012 09:01PM
YES look into the SSDI for underage children, the payment may or maynot be big but everything helps!!
Melissa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login