Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

REALLY AWFUL SYMPTONS HD from toronto star?

Posted by dustyblues 
REALLY AWFUL SYMPTONS HD from toronto star?
September 09, 2012 10:49PM
[www.thestar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 07:54AM by SteveI.
Re: REALLY AWFUL SYMPTONS HD from toronto star?
September 10, 2012 08:52AM
I'm wondering if he wasn't suffering from other illnesses as well as Huntington's disease. I don't see how some of those things could possibly have a connection.
September 11, 2012 03:46PM
I wonder if more research needs to be done on associated symptoms in HD people still living at home. His symptoms seem identical to my husband. We have been to doctors-- no relief with various tests/meds. He needs a urinal at night because he falls trying to get to the bathroom. Sometimes 10 times a night, every time he rolls around. Is the constant thought of urinating in my husband's head? He gets "floaters" in his eyes to the point he can't see. Neuros/opthomologists find nothing wrong..is it all in his head? They think it is. I could go on with odd symptoms we chalk up to HD. Someday the info about symptoms may be more extensive and specific for us.
September 16, 2012 09:07AM
I experience almost all of these things on a daily basis. Are they connected? I assumed they were. Reading the article, I was amazed how similar many of my issues are to those listed. There hasn't been a lot of connection made to the reading, smell, thermostat, numbness or apnea in my case. I've had the apnea for many years. Certainly there are some things that don't apply.Perhaps there is a connection. As far as the floaters, I began with floaters or what was called ocullar migranes that couldn't be explained early on. I still have them, especially in if exposed to bright sunlight or artificial light at the wrong time. Of course they could have been connected to the fall I had prior to phd.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2012 09:11AM by mikee.
September 16, 2012 09:25PM
My grandmother had problems with senses i.e. distinguishing hot/cold, wet/dry, smells, etc. We always attributed this to HD. She also had the typical symptoms chorea movements, swallowing difficulties, balance, fine motor then gross motor skills, mood swings, falls, etc.
My uncle had more psych based physical symptoms that various docs could find no physical cause for i.e. "phantom pain" in his limbs and head. He eventually died due to an overdose of OTC pain killers because he didn't remember having already taken pills and the pain wouldn't go away.
I firmly believe that because HD affects the brain (central nervous system) it can have varied and unusual effects in different people.
September 17, 2012 10:12AM
My optometerist said the floaters were warning of migraine. if you sort of stare at something they rise in my lower visual field.
My neuro said oh do you get migraine so do I.you think they fix something doctors get ha ha. iahd many miggraines in my 30's and more in my 40's. One summer I wrote every migraine on the calandar. I had 55 migraines in july and august. My best friend also has migraines and always takes the newest and best treatmnent while I treated them wuth aspirin and codeine. she took so many apsirin in ccollege I thought she would bleed to death. she has just had botox for the migraines and is finally migraine free. Last year I wore out my neck iwth the HD movement. IT was very funny becuase the docs said oh well its HD and we can't do anything. I looked it up as the ER docs agreed that bad neck cause bad headaches, and came up with cervical dystonia which can be treated with botox. SO the neuro put botox in my neck which costs $600 and I'm happy with the result.
September 20, 2012 11:00AM
One of my nieces is seeing my Neurologist at Mayo. She was tested for HD due to some of her varied symptoms and tested negative. One of her problems was this constant eye blinking. Once HD was ruled out, she was given Botox injections and it stops her blinking for 3-6 months. The Neuro did say to be very careful who you let give the injections.

Personally I'm side effects of medication would probably be worse for me that nothing at this point.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login