Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

I need someone to guide me how to take care of my husband

Posted by wallettce 
I need someone to guide me how to take care of my husband
September 02, 2012 09:22PM
We find out two years ago than my husband has HD, I have gone to everyone I can to try to find out the best way to take care of my husband.
he just turned 47 years old. we has been under a doctor care for the last two years, he had severe headaches for almost a year and after the headaches stop, he star hearing voices and start thinking that everyone was against him I took him back to the doctor that give him a different medicine which made him worse and he decided not to take any medicine because he is cure according to him, I was unable to take care of him and I have put him in a clinic for almost two months after he came back out he was doing ok taking his medicine but now I really need someone help to tell me what to do he start talking to himself again and walking all day inside the house until his night medicine makes him tired and he goes to bed and tomorrow will be the same so far it has been one week he is doing that, I work so my mother move in with me so she can keep on eye on him. I just want to know if anybody outthere can help me and give some suggestion about how to help him. Please I will appreciate.
eve
Re: I need someone to guide me how to take care of my husband
September 03, 2012 08:35PM
Hopefully you can find a doctor that is familiar with HD...maybe a teaching hospital or one of the HD Centers of excellence [www.hdteam.org] if you live in the USA. I've read that many times medications need to be adjusted every so often so maybe your husband needs an adjustment again. It would be nice if your mom could help, but is that fair to her? Maybe you should start investigating if there is any sort of care facility that might be able to take him during the day or if he gets too difficult maybe full time care will be needed. I'm not sure if that would be an option for you. I would recommend that you just keep trying to educate yourself about HD. Sorry to hear of your difficulties. The more you learn and know, hopefully increased knowledge will help you figure things out for your situation.
September 06, 2012 10:28AM
I do plan to answer this! It's just that I can't do it without writing a long response and I need to get work done (busy week - lots of research news) before I can sit down and write to you. Your question is more complicated than you think because HD is complicated and symptoms vcary by individual. We (all of us here) can't tell you how to take care of your husband but we can help educate you so that you can figure it what is best for both of you.

More to come......
September 06, 2012 10:38AM
The Psychiatric symptoms of HD are the hardest for caregivers to manage. Medications often need to be adjusted and /or new ones added to the mix to bring these symptoms under better control. In my opinion, much more needs to happen in the area of treatment for psych symptoms. As you stated, your husband has decided he no longer needs the meds and he is cured. That also contributes to the family distress, since we see the progression that they don't. I am sorry that you are having such a hard time right now, maybe hospitalization to stabilize him and get his medications right might help for a little while. Thoughts are with you.

Take care,

Carla
September 06, 2012 04:51PM
HD is difficult in so many ways, as the brain is slowly shrinking and it is difficult to determine which part of the brain will be affected in any given time period. It is really complicated because symptoms can manifest differently in different people. There is no pat answer to many problems but there are solutions to most of them. In many instances it requires creative thinking because he may not accept a direct suggestion or order. Suggest that once he takes the medication then you can take him someplace or fulfill a wish of his for a special dinner etc. That may or may not work but something else might do it. It is always good to show him that you are with him all the way and want only what is best for him, let him know that over and over. Confrontation never works, and always choose the battles very carefully. You may not like what he is doing like the pacing, but as long as he is not causing pain to himself or others it is sometimes best to give him as much headway as possible. It is very important that he thinks he has some control of his life even though he is loosing so much. Good luck.
September 06, 2012 10:33PM
thank you so much for you input, I really appreciate it, it seems getting better for me to deal with HD lately bacause I am more patient with him I do not argue with him, I often tell him that I love him and always will God has been helping me to somehow have hope to let me take care of him, I do everything posible for him to feel comfortable, since he came out of the clinic he has been taking his medication is not to bad he like to go out walking and the only time I am away from him is when I go to work even then I come and have lunch with him everyday I do make him feel important and have dinner with him talk to him a lot even tho he does not answered any of my question, he has been a great father and a great husband and I wish God give me the chance to stay with him until the end that is my feir not be able to take care of him.
my daughter move in with us and helps sometime she will take to get ice cream and a shake, or just shopping to the store so he picks what ever he wants to eat. I suggest my kids not to be tested yet. I have three kids 23, 21 and 15, my son has a baby before we found out about HD and they decided if they want more kids they will adopt, my other two decided not to have kids until they get tested and find out if they have it or not.
September 07, 2012 10:01AM
Sounds like you are doing everything right, trial and error is the best way to find out what works. We always say if it can't hurt and it might help it is worth a try. I don't know how anyone deals with this without Gods help I know I couldn't. Being more patient and slowing down has made the most difference in our home. It isn't easy but with God all things are possible I will keep you and your family in my prayers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login