Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

my hubby

Posted by victoria.brickley 
my hubby
August 19, 2012 08:34AM
things are just getting worse temper wise and he scares me,i have not cryed so much since my mum passed away 8 yrs ago.he has got doctors but not till the 14th sep,but i did have a quick word with the doctor and he also said he also thinks he has the start of the horribl dease.
eve
Re: my hubby
August 19, 2012 09:36AM
Very sorry to hear you're going through this. I understand you'd like to love and support him since this is likely the disease making him do this, but remember to not put yourself in any danger. How can you help him if you are hurt? If he really is frightening you, right now you need to get a plan in place to leave and protect yourself if you need to. Have a small bag packed with essentials so you can get out quickly. Figure out a place you will go to if you feel he could be violent. Get this figured out right away!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2012 09:36AM by eve.
August 19, 2012 07:30PM
Agree with Eve!

Take care,

Carla
August 20, 2012 03:21AM
Great advice Eve. It's a very hard thing to think about or do but you have to protect yourself Victoria. As Eve also said, act quickly!
August 20, 2012 08:56AM
If you mentioned to your doctor the situation at hand would they be able to move your appointment up?
If so, there are medications that could greatly help the situation and be a positive change for your situation.
If they are not able to move the appointment up it sounds like you have already talked to the doctor - would he prescribe
something that might help until the appointment?
August 25, 2012 10:32AM
WOW I really understand, my hubby was just diagnosed last month but for the last 10 plus years he was an awfulllllllll person, mean to me, I almost left several times. Doctors say now that he may have had HD for at least 8 years now and we didn't know. I am at a stage of anger and pain because I thought it was just him that was that way and not a disease.
August 27, 2012 08:32AM
I had no idea HD was in my husband's family and I also thought he was being a jerk to me and the kids for several years because he wanted a divorce or was going through some kind of mid-life crisis. It was both devastating and a relief at the same time to find out why he behaves the way he does. I was extremely angry for several months and even left him for a few weeks. I prayed a lot and mourned the fact that he will never be the same man I married, but I vowed 25 years ago to stick with him through sickness and health. The most important thing is to have a safety plan and be sure to communicate what is happening to your family, because odds are, he will deny any abuse to his doctor and you may need their support and backup. If something does happen, make sure you call for help. If you are injured, or he is destructive in any way, take pictures as evidence. When my husband got out of control, he bit my 20 yr old son, then called my family and his doctor and lied about what he did. I keep the pic on my phone and in a couple of other places just in case I need it in the future. Sadly, there's no way I will love my husband the way I did before this disease took control of him, but I do care about him as a human being and as father of our children. Seek counseling if at all possible. May God Bless you and keep you safe.
August 28, 2012 12:05PM
This is all so frightening for me as the wife and caregiver, I also have a severe case of Fibro and I have my bad days as well, on those days it is hard to be MISS SMILEY I get depressed and bow out for a bit, he says it is ok to have a bad day but I still have to stay on my toes. I just don't know what is next!!
Marlyssa
August 28, 2012 03:21PM
On the main HDAC.org page under Pages to Visit, select F.A.Q. Read the answer to: What are some effective methods to calm an aggressive or violent Phd? It is very informative and may be helpful to you. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2012 03:22PM by djcloc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login