Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Could these be early signs of HD?

Posted by Yanta 
Could these be early signs of HD?
August 17, 2012 04:09PM
I have been dating my BF for more then 3 years now he is helping me raise my 2 daughters and is a wonderful man, his mother has HD so I know he has a 50/50 chance of getting it himself. He is turning 31 this year and all of the sudden people we know including his co-worker and my sister are asking what’s wrong with him and if he is on drugs or something. I know 100% he is not on any drugs but because I have been around him every day for 3 years I didn’t see what they are talking about, but now I am noticing small things like he is stuttering more then before, makes weird throat noises, and the other day left for work with his shirt inside out. He has had a temper since we met but I have learned what buttons to not push and to not be so stubborn in an argument so we can hurry and make up. He doesn’t have a family doctor and I would like to speak with him about it and have him at least go to a doctor and get a physical to make sure he is ok. I know this is a really touchy subject for him and don’t want to cause a fight or make him worry more then he already is. Could these be signs of HD and how can I bring this up without getting him upset, I love him and want us to spend the rest of our lives together HD or not, but I am scared he isn’t taking care of himself and going for check ups. I will be honest that the idea that he could have this is terrifying for me (I’m sure more for him) am I looking too much into this?

Would it be to much if I reached out to his Mother for advice, she is an amazing women but he may be upset about it.
Re: Could these be early signs of HD?
August 17, 2012 09:17PM
Yes, it could be. Have you noticed a change in his handwritting or his driving? Like a general decline in the handwritting, or more accidents?

And yes, you should talk to his mother, if you are sure she won't react badly.
August 17, 2012 10:21PM
I am unsure about his printing and he hasn’t been in any accidents recently. His mother is very open about her HD and really an amazing woman I am more worried about him being upset then her, although he is her only child and I know it's her hope he does not have it.
August 17, 2012 10:45PM
i would def talk to his mom you dont have to tell him just tell the mom you dont want him to know . i have to tell little white lies all the time so i dont upset my husband with hd . his mother had hd and i would love to be able to talk to his dad about how he did it but he died 3 years after his wife from cancer . you have to have someone to talk to who can understand what your going through ok good luck and give your husband a little time he might notice the changes and decide to see doctor
August 18, 2012 11:00PM
Like Fred said, unfortunately, those could be early symptoms. I know Ray's initial symptoms starting with strange noises, I could hear him from the other room, but he wasn't aware of it at the time (at least he said he wasn't). Without having a neurological exam and/or genetic test, you won't really know for sure, though. It could also be stress if your husband is also worrying about it or something else. I'd imagine that your general doctor would refer your husband to a neurologist, but the doctor would have to know what you or others are seeing. It's tough to be in this situation. I know that I did tell Ray when I noticed things, and although he said at the time he didn't notice these things, he was open to seeing a doctor, etc., but I know everyone is different. I'd have to believe, though, that being honest with your concerns and then seeing where it goes can't hurt. A honest discussion with your husband about your concerns maybe would help him to be more open to talk with you. It could be that he is aware, but doesn't want to scare you, either . . . you just never know if you don't ask. I'm sorry you're having to worry about this, though.
August 20, 2012 03:40PM
I spoke to his Mother yesterday, she told me he has been considering being tested but this is the first I'm hearing of it. She is calling him to talk which I think he needs especially since apparently he won’t talk to me about it. I told him I wanted to talk and he got angry and said I am only trying to make myself feel better and maybe he is right. I always knew there was a chance he would have HD but now it seems so real I have been reading other posts about husbands with anger issues and my fear is growing. I realize this is his life and if he has it will affect his body, but I am in this with him he is my life. I feel lost! I decided to contact the Huntington’s Chapter in my community to see if I can volunteer, I hope this will give me a better understanding of all of this.

For now I sit and wait and hope that he will open up to me when he is ready. Thank you to everyone for your advice on this I appriciate it!!
August 20, 2012 08:08PM
im so glad you called now theres a little relief in knowing hes thinking about testing or seeing a doctor. hes prob only getting angry at you because your his wife and he knows what might happen if he has hd. there is no way your thinking about yourself in this situation he is just saying that to make you feel bad. he knows he has to talk with you about it but it scares him most likely because than it becomes real . all you want to do is get things straighten out so just in case he has hd and if he dosent you can stop the stress and arguing . im not a good writer at all but i hope you understand what im trying to say . it would be so helpful if he will be open to you about talking about hd. i wish we have been were married 22 years he was diagnosed in 05 an i saw symptoms in 01 . we never talked about hd but he thought about it everyday and let it destroy his life before he even had symptoms. find a way for your husband to open up maybe his mom will help you . your local chapter social worker will be helpful too you know theres so much more positive research now maybe print out the article it was in an earlier post
August 20, 2012 08:08PM
im so glad you called now theres a little relief in knowing hes thinking about testing or seeing a doctor. hes prob only getting angry at you because your his wife and he knows what might happen if he has hd. there is no way your thinking about yourself in this situation he is just saying that to make you feel bad. he knows he has to talk with you about it but it scares him most likely because than it becomes real . all you want to do is get things straighten out so just in case he has hd and if he dosent you can stop the stress and arguing . im not a good writer at all but i hope you understand what im trying to say . it would be so helpful if he will be open to you about talking about hd. i wish we have been were married 22 years he was diagnosed in 05 an i saw symptoms in 01 . we never talked about hd but he thought about it everyday and let it destroy his life before he even had symptoms. find a way for your husband to open up maybe his mom will help you . your local chapter social worker will be helpful too you know theres so much more positive research now maybe print out the article it was in an earlier post and leave it on theh table for him to see

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 08:09PM by jendoc6262.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login