Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New to Forum - Wife with Huntingon's and OCD

Posted by Day by day 
New to Forum - Wife with Huntingon's and OCD
July 30, 2012 10:26AM
I'm new to the forum and my daughter suggested I try it for some insights or advice. My wife is into the mid-to late stages of Huntington's (weight loss, unbalance, not able to drive) but not much Chorea. Her bigger issue is her OCD and germ phobias, which is having the biggest impact on her quality of life. She's had OCD a long time and I don't know if it preceeded her Huntingtons' onset. She was in denial for a long time. She also refuses to take medication and also refuses to see doctors or therapists. The therapist (nurse practioner) she saw a year ago tried to convince her to try meds, but she refused. Unless she is a danger to herself and a court evaluator confirms it, it doesn't sound like there are many other options. Anyone have experience with this?
Re: New to Forum - Wife with Huntingon's and OCD
July 30, 2012 11:16AM
Are you able to take her to a psychiatrist who may convince her to take meds as a way to replace cells that HD has taken?

You could have to talk to the psy prior to going in and let him know all the specifics.
July 30, 2012 12:05PM
Yes, I did try that a year ago, with no success at that time. I am making another attempt now with the explanation that it is the only way to improve her quality of life and being able to spend more time with her daughters and family. Key appears to be finding the thing that motiviates her beyond her OCD, which has not been easy, as it is so strong. Thanks for your response.
August 03, 2012 11:32AM
Welcome to the forum! How are you doing? Keep us posted on your wife's progress, I hope she will get to a doc who can help her (and you) manage some of the symptoms of HD.

Take care,

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login