Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Extreme Fatigue

Posted by MelissaB 
Extreme Fatigue
July 19, 2012 08:28AM
Marsha,
I am in early stage HD. Cognitive function deline in the last year more than usual for me, depression, stumbling, small movements occasionally. Yesterday I just felt so tired, like I couldn't get out of bed, I slept almost all day!! Today, I feel the same way! do you thing this may be HD or should I look for something else?None of my meds or anything have changed.
Thanks!!
Melissa
Re: Extreme Fatigue
July 19, 2012 10:50AM
I also have this and have for years. I was wondering how common it is. and if anything could help.
I also have constant allergies or a cold or both.
Laura
July 19, 2012 12:27PM
I too am in the beginning stages. I've cut my meds back to bare minimum to see if that helps. My level of tired has increased in the last year and I can't get my doctors to listen to me. Being on zoloft and being tired was my new 'normal.' That's has definately gotten worse. It's to the point I had to put a stool in the shower.
July 19, 2012 04:26PM
Both of my sons have extreme fatigue, I recall it being one of the earliest symptoms and now Tim sleeps more than he is awake. Mike battles through it but his hard physical job and this terrible heatwave this summer just wipe him out!

Take care,

Carla
August 07, 2012 08:49PM
Hi all. I can relate to you. For the last two years I have battled the same thing. I'm in early stage but whatever stage it's bad!!! Hours each day in bed or on the couch. Just let me sleep. It's the only way to make it through the day.

I tried some supplements but couldn't really tell a difference, perhaps some but nothing note worthy.

About two months ago, Mayo prescribed physical therapy. I wasn't very hopeful but after two months I can tell you it has helped me. From conversations with those in the "know", mouse models have shown that exercise seems to be very promising for HD.

It wasn't easy, I still staggger, fall off the exercise ball, someone keeps a finger in my belt loop to prevent falls. It's hard but so energizing. It does take getting used to. It's does hurt for a little while. I can now get out for perhaps an hour, work in the yard and participate in life.

Will is a prime example. I've never met him but from what I understand he is very fit and as a result has staved off symptoms even with a pretty good CAG count.

I encourage you to try it. Find a good, understanding, therapist and go for the gold.

Mike
August 08, 2012 12:23PM
My tiredness is really bad.

If i sit down i fall asleep.... so i dont sit down!!
Particularly if i sit outside to sunbathe.. i fall into a shallow breathing coma like sleep...... nothing wakes me up!!

I only take 10mg amitriptyline and 10mg citalopram 5mg memantine. I think these doses should not cause fatigue.
I presume it is due to my brain mass being smaller than it was (so brain working really hard with limited power) and also the toxic effect of the mutant protein in my system

I have also noticed that in the morning my tongue has a chemical/rotton taste (worse than normal morning bad breath issues!).
And my gums leach foul tasting saliva, my urine smalls very strong (but tests ok with the usual tests).... I think Its possible all
of these issues are from the toxicity. There are other chronic illnesses with some of these symptoms and I feel parallels can be drawn.

I am/always have been really busy.. grow own veg, have teenagers, cook all food from scratch, have a shop and this summer I have taken my shop on the road to music festivals which i totally organised myself and is exhausting even for "normal" people. But I push on regardless of pain/discomfort etc

I have studied my feelings regards tiredness and have decided that as long as i have had 8 hours reasonable sleep (never good due to vivid dreams nightmares and my limbs becoming numb and tingly during the night) then I must push on through any tiredness/feelings of wanting to go to bed.....

I do feel that when I am more depressed it is worse.... depression and tiredness seem very connected.

I walk to the shops instead of driving and push my wheelbarrow up and down from home to the allotment etc etc any thing to stay active.

Off the subject but still on health... does anyone have numb feelings at end of toes/fingers? Not totally numb but partial loss of sensation and strange feelings. Also have a patch on the edge of my spine that feels numb tickles or itches depending on what mood its in...

Enough sitting down off to allotment now.

ps Something has made my balance and multitasking much better probably memantine.... I know Barbara takes it do any of you??

Lorraine smiling smiley
dg
August 16, 2012 12:13PM
DO ANY OF YOU USE COFFEE ALSO MY DOC JUST SUGGESTED VITIMIN B DROPS WHICH I THOUGHT WOULD BE
EXPENSIVE BUT YOU GET IT AT WALL MART FOR 5 BUCKS. ITS CALLED SUBLINGUAL LIQUID IT HAS NIACIN ALSO
WHEN I FIRST CAME DOWN WITH HD COFFEE WOULD SCREW ME UP BAD BUT ON ZOLOFT I CAN DRINK A LITTLE TO KEEP
GOING
August 16, 2012 07:19PM
I have found ice tea with lots of ice to be helpful for me. Soda and coffee messes me up too much with my HD for some reason. I find tea easier to swallow than water too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login