Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Great news for everyone!! Google the latest news

Posted by alwayshope20 
Great news for everyone!! Google the latest news
June 28, 2012 09:39PM
on a CURE for HD. Yes, prayers are being answered!!!!! Best of luck everyone.
Re: Great news for everyone!! Google the latest news
June 29, 2012 07:14AM
And that would be what?
June 29, 2012 02:19PM
That's what i was thinking too lol. I tried it, and nothing.....best newest news is here, always has been for me smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
June 29, 2012 09:26PM
Well there is no cure yet but certainly some good news on the restorative treatment front (stem cells) which I am busy writing about. And of course we've been talking about the advances in ASOs. I'm just wondering what alwayshope read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 10:12PM by Marsha.
June 30, 2012 12:38AM
sorry i posted today huntington google article elsewhere....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 01:00AM by skmf12.
June 30, 2012 12:44AM
besides the article i posted i found these all linked here, was it one of these?

[www.google.com]
Re: Great news for everyone!! Google the latest news -- "Reset" the clock
July 03, 2012 05:37PM
Oh, I am really sorry everyone.. I just saw this. I had not checked news on HD for a while and the other night I googled treatment for HD in google news... Yes, the above article is what I found in the LA Times as a major health story, Marsha. Of course other sites as well. I really do feel this is the start of what will be excellent treatment at the least and potential cure. I am going to post the latest news articles of this past week I found.

Just a reminder, my bf is at risk 39 y/o. Does not want to test and I understand. I think the decision on testing will change once good treatment becomes available. His mom is unfortunately entering late stages. I pray every day in church for researchers to find a cure.
Best of luck to all. You guys are THE best!!! Happy Fourth!

[www.cbsnews.com]

[www.redorbit.com]

[bocanewsnow.com]
jsr
July 05, 2012 06:41PM
Great for me and my kids, but what about my dad? Will it stablize him any?
July 06, 2012 08:49AM
If people respond as the HD mice do, they will have some reversal of symptomology. Gene silencing experiments have been done with early and later stage mice and improvement occurred in all of the experiments. (No one has attempted this with end stage HD mice). So there is certainly hope for most HD patients. It will take longer to get restorative stem cell treatments I think, based on the fact that the FDA required 20,000 pages of information and data before approving the first ESC trial for another disease (and we don't know the outcome because the pharmaceutical company shut it down and has reported nothing). But if we can get gene silencing treatments in a reasonable period of time, we can wait for restorative therapies, knowing that they will likely follow in a few years.

My best guess is that the eventual treatment for HD will be a combination of gene silencing and the patient's own induced pluripotent stem cells with the gene corrected.

It is possible though that a combination of some of the potential treatments that have been recently proposed might be very effective (such as a KMO inhibitor and a phosphorylation inducer similar to GM1). And anything currently in clinical trials that proves to safely and effective slow the progression of the disease would certainly be welcome because it would allow us to buy time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 10:34AM by Marsha.
July 06, 2012 12:51PM
[en.hdbuzz.net]
News about stemcell therapy!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 09, 2012 02:00PM
Here's my latest article on the progress toward a stem cell therapy. [www.hdsa.org]

I was also trying to figure out when we might expect clinical trials and I read various articles. Dr. George Daley, a leader in induced pluripotent stem cell research, seemed to have the most realistic approach so I quoted from him extensively. As soon as I got a copy of JM Wilson's article cautioning researchers not to move too quickly toward stem cell trials I will be writing about what he had to say as well. Dr. Wilson led an early gene therapy trial that resulted in a death. I wrote about that case here: [www.hdlf.org] There may be lessons we can learn about risk vs. benefit in clinical trials.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login