Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Oh no

Posted by IsaTheInstigator 
Oh no
June 08, 2012 10:24AM
I think I just moved from the shock stage to the... IDK what stage. What comes after shock?
Re: Oh no
June 08, 2012 11:40AM
hang in there! grief, anger, denial...I keep feeling betrayal. Betrayed by my son's father because he didn't tell me, betrayed by nature and the universe for letting this possibly happen to my sweet baby boy. I think the stages of coming to terms with a positive diagnoses are much the same as coming to terms with a death. try to think of positive ways to deal with this. Try really hard not to think about it or dwell on it. When you just can't stop thinking about it, think about what you are going to do to help yourself and others. And this site is certainly a lifesaver. Don't be afraid to post what you are feeling. Good luck!
June 08, 2012 12:24PM
Isa- I'm so sorry for what you're going through! I've been looking into the grief stages, and it sounds like everything else with this disease, that it can be very different for every individual. Shock, denial, bargaining, anger, sadness; in any combination or order. I guess I'm hoping that working through the stages I'll/we'll eventually get to acceptance, and find a new normal. Personally, I probably do too much denial, to the point of escapism as a lifestyle- anything for distraction: tv, reading, talk radio, movies, YouTube, whatever. Not too bad, but bad if I'm missing out on the moment, missing out on good times with my kids, missing out on really living life. I'm trying to figure out how to get "unstuck"- just do it? Therapy?
June 08, 2012 04:03PM
Resignation. You have a new life in front of you. It's going to be a little different than the prior one, but it doesn't have to be a lot different. You're not going to start developing symptoms next week, or next year. Concentrate on those parts of your life that have nothing to do with HD. You will settle down after a bit.

Will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login