Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

falls? Swimming?

Posted by salamandah 
falls? Swimming?
May 28, 2012 01:58PM
Hi all, R came over today to visit with J. Since it is Memorial Day, I told him to bring his swimsuit and plan on swimming with J. Well, he seemed nervous but I didn't really think anything of it. He finally got into the pool and just sort of stood around in the shallow end for a while. I was not in the pool but sitting on the deck. I was trying to be there without being there. Anyway, he finally swam into the deep end and he seemed to have a really hard time. I was so surprised. When I met him, his parents had a house with a pool and he recently bought a house with a pool. He told me he was swimming all day yesterday with friends he had invited over for a cook-out. Anyway, I guess I was just so shocked that he had such a difficult time in the pool. Also, because he had his shirt off, I was able to see that he had two injuries on his back between his shoulder blades and another long scratch down his left side. When I asked him what happened, he just told me they were minor injuries, end of conversation.

I guess I was just wondering if others had experience with the pool. I thought it would be easier but it seemed to be harder for him. Also, If I could see the results of on or two falls (that is the only way I can think he got those scratches on his back), what does that say about his safety when he is alone? Do I need to try to get his family to step in and help or maybe call DHS? This is such a frustrating situation. He has an appointment with a doc next week who will supposedly refer him to the neuro so he can get the tests he needs. But I don't know if he will tell the doc what his problems are. His stepmom is not going to the doc with him and I doubt he would let me go with him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 07:53AM by salamandah.
Re: falls? Swimming?
May 28, 2012 03:37PM
I don't really see how someone could get scratches on the back from falling. Even a fall backward would be more likely to result in a head injury or maybe bruises, wouldn't it?
May 28, 2012 04:40PM
If he is having trouble swimming he shouldn't be in a pool alone with your son alone. The scratches could be from any injury, walking sideways into a sharp object or even leaning backwards too hard, depends upon how advanced his movements are.
May 28, 2012 05:37PM
I just really don't know how he could have gotten the marks. Maybe it has nothing to do with HD. He was alone IN the pool with J but not alone at the pool. J is a good swimmer and always wears floaties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 07:54AM by salamandah.
May 28, 2012 08:07PM
My husband used to get a ton of scratches and they were usually related to a fall. Probably by hitting something on the way down. Its nice that Jack got to spend the day with his dad. It will also look good when you go to court. They will see that you are not trying to keep them a part. You are a good person!
May 28, 2012 10:20PM
thanks Judy! I really feel like R must have fallen down on something. I guess he could have lost his footing and fallen down some steps. Like I said, I am worried about him. Last year, I got a MRSA infection from a bug bite. My entire arm swelled up and it was very painful. I worry that something like that will happen to R. It just really bothers me that he seems to have no one who cares about him. If I lived closer to him, I probably would make it a point to drop by and visit with him. Well, actually, let him and J visit while I snooped around to make sure he had food in the house. But an hour drive one way is a bit much to go just to drop by. I will probably call his stepmother sometime this week and just tell her about the scratches. Just so someone else knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 07:54AM by salamandah.
May 29, 2012 04:49AM
That's a good idea. She should definitely know. It's amazing how some families just don't care. Aside from me and my kids my husband's sister is the only others family that visits him. His own brother lives about 2 miles away and never stops in. He did at first, but it has now been several months. I guess he must think that only seeing him on holidays or someones birthday is enough and he wouldn't see him then if I didn't pick him up. I also think that he and his wife forget that his brother has a wife and 3 kids. We live close by also and I never get a call to see if we need anything. I had major surgery in February and they complained that I had to sleep on their couch and had to help out with my youngest. They are very selfish people. Sorry, this is your post not mine, just wanted to get that off my chest.
May 29, 2012 06:43AM
No problem Judy. Feel free to PM me and vent if you ever have a need.
May 30, 2012 01:51PM
Swimming is a complex function of the brain telling the body what to do, like driving a car. My sons both were excellent swimmers but neither one get in the pool now. (not even in the shallow water)

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login