Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Wheelchair?

Posted by Lauryn 
Wheelchair?
May 27, 2012 08:33PM
At what stage of Huntington's is a person usually wheelchair-bound? Is it the late stages? There are people in the world that live decent qualities of life in a wheelchair....but I guess I'm wondering where on the Huntington's timeline a person is when they can no longer walk?
eve
Re: Wheelchair?
May 28, 2012 07:05PM
I think it varies by person. Probably usually the later stages, but some people have more of the motor problems and not so much the mental changes. I think it's more common to have behavior changes before the motor signs. But as Barb once stated, HD affects everyone's brain a bit differently and different areas affected are what cause the symptoms.
May 29, 2012 01:01PM
My husband has lost mental abilities..He still walks although with challenges. He has had it 12yrs. now. In public its up to each ones issues. We have had many problems with the public..accusing him of being drunk or on drugs. I so want to make a tshirt that states"I have huntingtons whats your problem"
May 29, 2012 08:48PM
muchgrace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My husband has lost mental abilities..He still
> walks although with challenges. He has had it
> 12yrs. now. In public its up to each ones issues.
> We have had many problems with the
> public..accusing him of being drunk or on drugs. I
> so want to make a tshirt that states"I have
> huntingtons whats your problem"

I wish my mom had that t shirt when she was alive. She tended to go up and talk to strangers, and with her awkward gait and slurred speech, many people thought she was drunk or on drugs. She was pulled over numerous times before she was diagnosed and her license was taken away. She had to go through the sobriety tests, as the police always thought she was drunk. And to add to it all, she was a recovering alcoholic, so at one point in her life ... she was drinking and had HD. But at that time, it was mostly the drinking that was a problem. Many of my family members had HD and also an addiction to alcohol. Have other families seen this? My mom also walked until she died but she fell alot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login