Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Trying to get through a bad week

Posted by muchgrace 
Trying to get through a bad week
April 27, 2012 07:56PM
For some reason this week has been very trying. Sometimes I would like to get on 95 and rip the rear view mirror off and never look back.
For reasons not known to me my husband is becoming very selfish right now in his hd. No accoutability at all. If he doesnt get his way he just goes to bed or throws things around. Now if he poops in his pants he doesnt even try to help clean up where he use to care about it. Im sure I will get over this put this week every thing is a big mountain. Also he started following me around like a shadow and when I ask why he wont answer the question. Granted I have been dealing with this 12yrs. But this week has just baffled me. I sure I will get over this. I just needed to
vent. Lord have mercy on me and everyone here.
Re: Trying to get through a bad week
April 28, 2012 08:10AM
Don't know what to tell you......thoughts and prayers going up.
Mike
April 28, 2012 02:44PM
I know exactly what you are going through! Have you considered having him placed in a NH? I know that sounds harsh, but when my husband started doing those things I couldn't handle it. My husband was becoming violent when he was placed. It really was the best decision for all of us. My kids and I are much happier and even though my husband won't admit it he is too! HD is such a difficult disease to deal with for everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 02:46PM by JudyF.
April 30, 2012 08:19AM
I am so sorry thsi is so difficult for you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Paula
April 30, 2012 11:07PM
In my thoughts and prayers as well. Stay strong.
April 30, 2012 11:59PM
I only placed mom in a NH when I had absolutely no choice. But I had to face it eventually. I saw her every other day and did everything I could do. If your safety is compromised, mentally or physically, you have to start to look outward for solutions. Whether it's coordinating a some time out using in home care services or family, or deciding it's time that it's become too much and placing him in outside facility, you have choices. If you can't take care of yourself, you can't care for him the way he needs you too. And remember, he is not always in control of his emotions, or actions and is most likely very angry with himself and his situation. He is not himself. You are a wonderful person for how much you've done for him for the past 12 years and stood by his side. I would be so blessed if my husband did so much for me. Hang in there one day at a time...

Laurie
August 27, 2012 01:20AM
You say your husband has had HD for 12 years now? Please tell me how the progresson was and your timeline, my husband was just diagnosed with HD. Thanks Marlyssa
August 30, 2012 01:35PM
Sorry for your rough week! Sending hugs {{{muchgrace}}}

Take care,

Carla
October 29, 2012 01:10PM
Sorry its been so long. Some days are better than others. He is very time consuming lately. As for his time line.
In 1999 his was in an accident..three operations later..He wasnt coping well. Very delayed. I thought it was the medicines from the operations.
But when I look back about 10 yrs prior..He wasnt handling responsibilities very well. He put things off all the time in which I would step in a deal with things. He was angry off and on. But when he was it was dangerous for he was so big and strong. From 1999 when we had him tested he was immediately accepted for ssi. He didnt do much. No hobbies or anything. He tettered in the garage. They put him antidepress. meds...from 2000 - 2006 he tried to take his life 4xs. Then in 2006 in got pneumonia double and was on life support. He made it through and from that point. He was very passive. But at first he wanted to drink alot and smoke cigarettes. He kept his weight up from 2000-2006. Since the hospital the weight has been difficult to keep on. So I feed him 6 small meals a day to help. From 2006-2012 he has slowly declined. This yr is the first yr I have to shower him and have him wear diapers. But he is still walking around with a slow gait. All foods have to be cut up and he has to be directed on what to do. He sits or stands all the day through.
In the middle of theses yr there has been psc. hospitals and meds but now he is on no meds due to the fact nothing really helps so why bother.
October 30, 2012 09:35AM
Thank you for telling me about his timeline, we are not at that point yet and I hope it doesn't go that direction(but ya never know). My hubby has been diagnosed now since August this year but looking back maybe 8 to 10 years. My fears are hard to ignore, reading what all you caregivers go through I hope and pray I can be a good caregiver.
November 02, 2012 12:04PM
Muchgrace, I keep wondering what my son would be like if they took him off all these meds, I know right now he's on so much junk that he is a shell of himself. Did you wean your husband off meds or did the doctor?

Take care,

Carla
November 06, 2012 05:56AM
For us meds didnt really help..Some of them even made it worse. My husband and I decided to stop the meds..Even his doctor said it was like throwing a tart and hoping. The only thing that did help but they wouldnt give was xanx or valuim..sorry for the miss spelling ..the doctors all said it was addicting. We only wanted it for a now and then type help. But all we use is juicing, natural supplements.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login