Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Conference Anyone?

Posted by purplegal 
Conference Anyone?
April 19, 2012 09:26AM
Just wondering if anyone is planning on attending the HDAC conference in Las Vegas in June?

Also wondering if anyone has gone in the past, and found it helpful-

Thoughts anyone?

(I applied for a 1st time Conference goer scholarship and did not get it this year)...
Re: Conference Anyone?
April 19, 2012 11:52AM
purplegal,

My wife and I are going to attend the Las Vegas conference. We attended the 2007 conference in Oklahoma City, a no brainer, we live in OKC. We also attended the 2009 in Phoenix. Both were great fun and informative, but we probably would not have spent the money to travel to Phoenix for the conferences alone. We coupled that conference with visiting relatives. We are making a vacaton out of the Las Vegas trip.We are arriving early to see some shows. We have tickets to Jersey Boys, Menopause the Musical, and Cirque Du Soleil. We are driving to cut down on the expense and because it is easier with the wheelchair. I haven't planned the routes yet, but will go out and back on different roads to see as much as possible in the two weeks that we will be on the road.

I'm sorry you didn't receive the 1st time conference goer scholarship. I hope you will try again next year.
April 19, 2012 12:12PM
We are going to Conference this year. It will be our first time at an HDSA conference and we are looking forward to it. Actually we did win one of the scholarships and I still can't believe it!! My husband, mother in law and myself are going. This is actually perfect timing as my father in law is starting to show some new symptoms and we are challenged with how to handle the changes. Oh... and I LOVE Las Vegas!!
April 19, 2012 10:08PM
Glad people are going...honestly, I wondered if it would be too much too soon for me.

I wanted to go to jersey boys as well! I knew I had to throw something fun in there smiling smiley

Can't wait to hear what people learn...I'll apply again next year (for the scholarship)!
April 20, 2012 08:00AM
Marsha and I will be there for sure. I'm always surprised by the number of people we interact with on this site that we always seem to fail to run into at the conference (there are a lot of people at the conference - around 1000). It's always fun to have an opportunity to associate a face with the name.

There is also a "Meet the HDSA Board" session that I'll be participating in. Everyone is welcome to show up and ask whatever questions they want (within the time allocated for the session). Of course, you can grab any board member at just about any time during the conference and share your thoughts with us.
April 21, 2012 08:30AM
Maybe you could all wear a pin or a sign that you are from HDAC??? I've met so many wonderful people there, it would be a shame to miss the chance to put a face to the people you all chat with here! Rose
April 21, 2012 09:05AM
Maybe Steve or Marsha could make an announcement at one of the early general sessions to meet at a certain location. I was at the convention in Raleigh two years ago and it's really tough to locate people in a crowd, even if they had some sort of identification. I did meet both of them and Dr. Lavonne, but I know I missed a lot of folks.

Will
April 21, 2012 04:20PM
my husband and i are still debating attending this year.

it was in our original plans, however - i am now PREGNANT with TWINS via ifv/pgd. we may need to skip the cross-country flight..

if we dont go, ill be paying close attention and i cant wait to hear what announcements are made during the conference..
April 22, 2012 12:36PM
I'm going too!! I can't wait to meet all of you that are going! We got one of the scholarships, too! I just posted it in a new message, because I didn't see this one right away! It'll be our first conference and my son and mom are going too!!
April 23, 2012 03:10PM
I have to say- I was a little disappointed that myself and my family did not receive a scholarship this year (although a little relief as well...not sure I was quite ready?).

However, hearing all the positive comments about the conference, I am so excited for everyone and can't wait to soak up all that you learn! Keep us posted smiling smiley
May 05, 2012 12:41PM
My husband & I were fortunate enough to get a scholarship too. He tested positive 2 yrs ago. I have done all the research. He hasn't been ready to face it til now. I'm really looking forward to it, but nervous too. I'm not sure how he will react to everything & everyone. His parents are going as well. His mom is mid-stage. I wish you were going Will. You helped me a lot early on. See you all there.

Jen
May 05, 2012 03:35PM
Jen,

You'll both be just fine. The folks at the convention will be just like us on this forum - knowledgeable and understanding. There will be a lot of serious stuff, but equal amounts of fun and laughter. If you're a little nervous about participating, folks will be sympathetic. All the old hands were once nervous newbies. Just hold your breath and jump in - the water will be fine!

I wish I could be there, but I have more important fish to fry. Last Monday I passed all the screening tests for a Phase1b open label trial of Selisistat. This is a SIRT1 Inhibitor drug that the researchers are really excited about as a true disease modifier, not just a symptom treatment. I start a 14 day dosing period next Tuesday at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in North Carolina.. I'm as excited as the researchers!

Will
May 05, 2012 03:37PM
Oh my gosh Will!!! Is that like a gene silencer??? That is so awesome
May 06, 2012 09:19AM
YES!

Will
May 06, 2012 09:49AM
That is so excited...I hope you will keep us all posted... smiling smiley
May 06, 2012 11:09AM
Oh my god Will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
May 06, 2012 03:56PM
Remember that a Phase1b trial is more of a safety study than an HD effectiveness study. That will come in Phases 2 and 3. They'll be studying what the drug is doing in my body and what my body is doing to it.

Will
May 06, 2012 04:11PM
I know Will smiling smiley But this is very very cool! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley I am SO excited!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2012 04:12PM by Barb.
May 07, 2012 07:13PM
Will! how exciting...thank you so much for participating...good luck!

Carla
May 30, 2012 06:04PM
Hi all

Hope all is well. I will be coming to convention this year. I won the trip from the NJ Chapter. I am delighted that I can bring my sister with me. This will be her first convention. Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Stacy-NJThe wave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login