Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Zyprexa aka Olanzapine

Posted by kippers30 
Zyprexa aka Olanzapine
March 12, 2012 09:10PM
hi all.

its been a while since i posted. thought i would pipe in with a question.

My wife was given a prescription for Zyprexa aka Olanzapine by our neuroologist. what are your thoughts on this?
any feed back would be great.

She is currently on the ACR 16 extended drug trial and the only drug she cannot use while on the extended trial is tetrabenazine.

i dont see the trial hellping her very much. in fact i see no improvement since she started 6 months ago. we were just into see the trial doctor and he says that is all there is right now. But our regular neurologist gave us this precription so i thought i would give her a try to see if it helps at all.

Your thoughts.

Kip Jones
Ontario, Canada
Re: Zyprexa aka Olanzapine
March 12, 2012 09:46PM
Well it depends on what you are hoping the zyprexa to do. Acr16 is meant to stop the disease process, they are hoping, i think. And zyprexa is one of many mood stabilizers. It doesn't stop the disease in any way, if that's what you're asking. Why was she put on zyprexa? For depression or sleeping issures? If you are looking for something else to hopefully slow the disease process, then memantine is worth trying
March 13, 2012 07:10AM
i know there is no was to stop the disease. acr 16 is not helping her at all? any opinions here on that one? the neurologist told me that this is what he give to his parkensons patience to help slow the choreah. i gues he is an idiot. the guy really had no idea about the huntextil trial.

just looking for something for her to slow down the choreah she has. its actually gotten worse over the last 6 months.

Kip Jones
Ontario, Canada
March 14, 2012 06:32PM
I think fish oil helps with my movements. it also helped my mom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login