Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Kathleen Edward story on Dr Phil today.

Posted by Julie Olagbegi 
Kathleen Edward story on Dr Phil today.
January 30, 2012 08:57PM
They had this story on about her being bullied on the show today. Did any one see it?
Re: Kathleen Edward story on Dr Phil today.
January 30, 2012 09:46PM
I did and I thought it was well done. The bullies just made themselves look bad and Kathleen's family handled themselves beautifully.

HD was mentioned and there was a link to HDSA on the website. I know that some are upset that this program was about bullying and NOT HD but it's Dr. Phil's decision what shows he wants to do. Every so often someone announces a campaign to get various talk show hosts to cover HD and it never works. Then they are upset, saying that these people are all about ratings. Well of course they are. I think we have to be realistic and ask ourselves if we weren't affected by HD would WE want to watch a show about a terrible disease that has no cure? I bet we wouldn't. We need to frame a proposed story about something positive (maybe when RNAi trials start).

I'll tell you what I think the HD community has done very well and that is getting the story out from a personal perspective. I subscribe to google alerts for HD and there is a story in a local newspaper every single week. There are also stories in larger outlets such as CNN or BBC or Oprah's magazine. There has even been a story in the New York Times about one of community's young leaders as she went through testing and then she appeared on the View. HD is now a common story line in medical dramas. Our researchers also do a good job of getting new developments covered. Ranting
January 31, 2012 09:57AM
I didn't care for it, but I also really dislike Dr. Phil.

I work at a memory care facility as a cook, and one of my residents likes to watch this show every day. Most days it's kinda hard working there because it reminds me of where I could end up, but yesterday was particularly hard.

I know it isn't Dr. Phil's fault. His show in general just makes me really uncomfortable. I don't care for his stories where rape victims tell all either, I feel like the people on his show should be seeking real professional help.

If the bullies were really trying to make amends, they didn't need to go on Dr. Phil to do it. They just thought they'd be more likely to be forgiven in front of thousands of viewers. I am glad that Kathleen's family stood their ground, because this was just another way of bullying.
January 31, 2012 12:20PM
I didnt see this show, but last week i was watching a new show that i like, it's called a gifted man, about a neuro surgeon named michael, and at the end of last weeks segment, he was asking one of his co-workers if he's going to test for hd, and the co-worker said, well, i don't know which is worse, being at risk or knowing possible bad news for sure, he said it in dif words than i said, but he got the point across really well of the dilemna of being at risk
January 31, 2012 05:57PM
Wow- Google alerts!!! smiling smiley

Thats awesome. It took me about 8 seconds to sign up.

Thanks Marsha
January 31, 2012 06:09PM
I just got down watching that show and it was very good! I think that is my new favorite show! I will be watching next week!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login