Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Kidney donor

Posted by Debi 
Kidney donor
January 16, 2012 08:57AM
Does anyone have any information about major surgery and the effect it has on HD? My husband has been talking about donating a kidney for many years and it has become an obsession recently. I seem to rembember reading someting on here about anesthesia and HD any thoughts would be appreciated.
Re: Kidney donor
January 28, 2012 12:03AM
Hi Debi,

Here's a Lighthouse page about anesthesia.

[www.hdlf.org]

Eric
February 01, 2012 09:37AM
Eric,
Thank You so much I really appreciate it and so will my husband
September 04, 2012 05:09PM
Debi, Laura is having surgery next week. Did you find any additional information regarding

surgery - meds - HD?

Does anyone else have any info regarding surgery - meds - HD? I printed out the Isoflurane page for the docs to review.

Thanks,
Pete
September 04, 2012 09:15PM
General anesthesia is hard on people with HD. Unless your husband is trying to save a family member, he really shouldn't have the surgery.

Pete, Laura will probably take longer to recover from the anesthesia than someone who does not have HD. Make sure that those responsible for her care know this so they can keep a close eye on her and won't be shocked if there is some mental confusion for a period of time. This is not something to worry about when surgery is needed, you just need to be prepared.
November 19, 2012 01:52AM
Hi, my husband is HD positive with a cag of 40. He donated a kidney to a close friend in June 2012. He had no proplems
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login