Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

update on my Mom

Posted by db 
db
update on my Mom
December 31, 2011 06:58PM
Tipping my hat to you This should be encouraging for some of you . You might remember Mom has now been in a long-term care facility for about 13 months . She went there after she became very sick with pneumonia and we were told this was it and she was going to die . Good old Mom fooled us all and kept living . At the time she was sick she stayed in the hospital 5 or more months . Because at that time she lost her ability to walk . And Dad was no longer able to care for her at home . Soooo her new home became the long-term care facility ; about 5 minutes from Dad's house . Dad and other family visits her most days . She truly likes her new home . Once again like a few times over the last 15 years my Mom is doing very well with her HD . Mom about 2 months ago started to walk again ; with her walker and a caregiver . Everyone was elated . The care facility was very surprised along with her Doctor . And we were pleased beyond imagination . Now we realize this walking could stop tomorrow . But it all started because we just asked if it would be possiable to get her to stand for a second so we could pivot her into a van . So that's how they started by just trying to strengthen her . Mom's ability to pivot means the caregivers transfer her into her wheelchair themselves , most of the time , rather than using the transfer-chair . Also Mom responds to their talking to her with her own humorous words . We have been so happy for her and us . But , once again it is cold and flu season , I think this is the most dangerous time of the year for pHDs . As a family we know this is extremely out of the ordinary situation . But Mom is 83 and her Mom was almost 94 , before she died in long-term care . A side note 4 other family members on Moms side of the family tested for the expanded gene . 3 tested positive . But as I have said to them My Mom and Grandmother had a fairly good life and long life . And there is a very good chance they will also . One of them is a psychiatrist and has got her self on some very good meds . She is also sharing her info to the rest of the family . Anyhoo it has been a while . All of my best to all of you . db
Re: update on my Mom
January 01, 2012 10:14AM
Wonderful News. My grandmother lived well into her 80's too, but we didn't even know it was HD then.
January 01, 2012 03:26PM
So nice to see you again db, and such a nice update about your mom...happy new year to you too smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
db
January 02, 2012 07:31PM
Thanks , I hoped that Mom can be an encouragement for some with HD .
and what I mean by that , is ' Mom seems contented with life . most of the time . She still has her moments that are not good .

but all of us in the family and in her long-term care facility; we try to not upset her , with her trigger points . If she says no to something ( like her meds ) we skip the meds or try later . We tell her cute short stories and we never get upset with her . But of course that is so much easier with her being cared for at the care facility . So those with HD " might " find they will have time periods that are easier than other time periods . And those who are caregivers might also find some periods of time easier than others . I do have some other family members with HD that are not having it very good at all . Mom has been and still is an encouragement for them . Anyways all of my best to all of you . smileys with beer db
db
January 02, 2012 07:34PM
Oh and Barb 6060 posts ; you are an inspiration . db
January 03, 2012 04:20PM
Nice update on your mom! Also nice to see you pop back in! smiling smiley

Carla
db
January 05, 2012 04:37PM
Thanks you guys . Sharing my heart db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login