Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

depression

Posted by hdguy1 
depression
December 16, 2011 04:01PM
i have a question to my fellow hd family here at hd light house and was hoping that like before and always someone can help me out.

How does depression work with Huntington's disease, is it the same kind of depression one would feel while not having the hd gene or is it caused by some sort of chemical imbalance due to the progression of the illness, or due to the fact of knowing that one has the gene and what it may do in the future.

are people with hd generally depressed all the time whether times are good or bad or is there an external factor that makes them depressed like a death or a break-up or the sickness of a family member.

my mother who had huntingtons was depressed when i was a child and i always wondered if it was the disease that made her that way or was she actually depressed for reasons that she may only know?
Re: depression
December 16, 2011 04:54PM
I think it can be both physical and mental. though everone is different and not everyone with HD is depressed.
I definately go in and out of depression and I've had it about 10 years. for some reason yesterday I felt very happy.
I think my dogs do a good job cheering me up.
I have 3 a corgi who spends his life watching over me like sheep. a golden who everone knows are cheerful and a coton who the french
call the anti depression dog.
Laura

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 05:04PM by lauraandpete.
December 19, 2011 05:41AM
Terry has been going through depression lately-very withdrawn. For the last several years he's experienced it mainly in the winter months-SAD? We don't know. He says he misses working and I'm sure he does. He's homebound although I get him out as much as I can. His life has changed and I really can't expect him to be happy about it. One of the problems is that he's going through mourning his old life. He's been pretty much in denial until now. Anyway, I've fought depression a good part of my life and Terry's depression seems quite similar to the bouts that I have had. It actually helps sometimes because experiencing it myself I can find ways to help him. I did, at one time experience severe clinical depression, and thank God, Terry hasn't had to deal with that on top of the HD. I guess you could say his depression is situational? with SAD in the mix. We're working through it and I think once he finds new direction he'll be ok. This is just our experience.

Audrey
December 20, 2011 12:33AM
I'm a 24/7 caregiver with 3 sons at risk and wondering if i have some depression going on...with depression do you feel like you go all day and can't seem to get done what you could get done before and do you feel angry and easily annoyed with people...i use to have a high tolerance nothing bothered me much and now even little things will just set me off...Just wondering...thanks Nila
December 20, 2011 05:47AM
Yes, Nila. It sounds like depression to me. I think some people think that depression is crying all the time or being withdrawn like Terry but I think being easily angered and frustrated are also signs of being depressed. I'm right there with you. I take a low dose antidepressant and it helps but I have to stay on top of it -the depression-all the time. Caregiving can sneak up you and before you realize it you're burned out. I call these times my "empty bucket". You do your best to take care of your loved one but sometimes you're just not getting enough back to keep you going. Unfortunately your loved one can't give much, if anything, back. It's like trying to drive a car with an empty tank. You have to use your imagination and come up with some way to fill your bucket back up. Sometimes I buy something I really want, get my nails done, etc, I'm thinking of getting a massage-I've never had one. I'm also thinking of spending a night in a motel-just to run away for one night. Let someone serve me dinner, make the bed, clean the bathroom and watch what I want to on tv in peace. It can do a world of good-not a bad Christmas present either if you can find a Santa to give it to you.

Best wishes,
Audrey
December 20, 2011 05:07PM
With me i use to get angry and frustrated quick i hide it really well and rarely do i take it out on anyone but lately i find myself not angry and not frustrated im in a state where i try to please everyone i just want to see everyone around me happy and not low like me i guess i am this way since i cannot make myself happy due to factors such as my mothers passing, my younger sisters downfall with huntingtons and my future status and the inability to find anyone who can relate or understand my perspective towards life (except for you all heresmiling smiley )
December 20, 2011 07:24PM
Thanks for your responses ...I'm not on anything yet...but i do cry a lot also...just tired of this already and still have a long why to go and our 24 year old son is talking about testing and i just get really scared...but want to be a rock for my sons..Oh i would love a night at a hotel...or a week!! smile..but then knowing me i would feel guilty..thanks again. Nila
December 20, 2011 10:57PM
HDGuy1-You sound like you may be "stuffing". It works but only for awhile. Have you got someone you can confide in? I know guys don't feel comfortable sometimes with professionals.

My son, 24, is at risk and planning to marry next year. He plans on getting tested when they're ready to have children. His fiance is aware of what the future may bring. They've decided to squeeze every minute they can into life. I know it's at the back of their minds but it's not a cloud hanging over them. My son pays attention to what things like diet or supplements may help him should he test positive and so he's already becoming proactive. You know-expecting the best but preparing for the worst.

Nila-I want to be a rock for Terry and my son too. And because I have suffered with depression I'm not going to be able to do that unless I take very good care of myself. Believe me, when I get that night in the motel I'm going to be refreshed and ready to take it all on again. I will be of absolutely no value to them whatsoever if I allow myself to go through another bout of clinical depression. What's worse than HD? Having HD and a depressed caregiver!! I might feel guilty too if I spent a week but one night flies by so fast and you will be so delighted how much it helps you to be a better caregiver. You'll be a woman of mystery among strangers. No one will know your story. For one night you can be anyone you want to be. I feel more guilty when I'm not at the top of my game and Terry needs me to be.

I think it's a mistake that people who are depressed think others around them don't know. No matter how well I try to "cover" there will eventually be something that tells. Others may not know it's depression but they know something is a little off-something doesn't quite make sense. A lot of the time it takes very little to make such a big difference- a medication, getting a different perspective, running away for a night,yes, rescue a pet and when I move out of my comfort zone I always kick myself for not having done it sooner. And those around me realize that for some reason they've got their old Audrey back. (LOL-maybe she was just constipated.)smiling smiley

Audrey
December 21, 2011 06:08AM
I also had some problems with depression. I started an intensive fitness program and helped me out a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login