Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD and dental work

Posted by may1802 
HD and dental work
December 02, 2011 09:37PM
How does dental care work with Chorea?

My MIL is needing to have some dental work done and I am concerned that the Dr will have a hard time working on her b/c of the chorea (esp head bobbing) How have you all dealt with that?
Thanks so much!
Re: HD and dental work
December 08, 2011 07:39AM
I'm sorry there hasn't been a response yet. This is a common problem, but unfortunately it's less common to find a dentist with this particular specialty.

For my Mom, she had quite a gag reflex, which stopped her from going to the dentist, even long before movements.

If you have a regular dentist that you trust, could you ask them for a recommendation? Or call a dentist who is geared towards kids and see if they would be able to help your MIL. Kids require some of the same skills: they have a harder time keeping still, and require a little more verbal patience....

Alternatively, I've heard commercials for sedation dentistry, for people who are just very anxious about the dentist. Certain types of general anesthesia are not recommended for HD, but sedation might be ok - you may want to check with her neurologist if you think you might go this route.
December 08, 2011 12:09PM
Thanks, those suggestions are very helpful!
Hope you have a great day!
December 08, 2011 04:47PM
Tony had to have implants because he broke his teeth often and then the crowns within a week after they were done. I was concerned about it. Our dentist worked with an oral surgeon that we knew and liked. I had them place a conference call with Tony’s neurologist to discuss how the work would be done. The three are all good at what they do and were willing to work together to make me comfortable with it. The oral surgeon had worked on people with other motion disorders and suggested that Tony needed a general anesthesia. He was aware that a particular type of anesthesia was important. So they worked together and didn’t even hate me for being such a pushy witch.

Tony sleeps at the dentist's all the time now for even minor work because he has no motions for them to deal with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 05:01PM by Maggie.
December 08, 2011 05:14PM
Yes a pediatric dentist works.... I was able to locate a dentist that had previous experience with special needs adults before becoming a pediatrics... Maybe calling a local nursing home, pediatric dentist, or reaching out to agencies that work with special needs to see who they use... ie easter seals, 21 plus, ARC, etc.
December 10, 2011 07:56AM
My 47-yr old pHD daughter had a similar problem: a previous dentist failed to adequately take care of my daughter's teeth - most likely due to my daughter's movements..My daughter is now seeing my dentist and was always sedated for major work. There are added expenses which may be covered dependent upon your MIL's financial situation or dental insurance. bob
December 10, 2011 08:06AM
Sorry I posted a blank.
My 47 yd old pHD daughter's previous dentist let my daughter's teeth get into disrepair - most likely due to daughter' excessive movements. My daugter is noe seing my dentist and for all major work is sedated. Depending upon you MIL's financial situation, the added expenses may be covered. bob
December 10, 2011 08:10AM
Sorry I posted a blank.
My 47 yd old pHD daughter's previous dentist let my daughter's teeth get into disrepair - most likely due to daughter' excessive movements. My daugter is noe seing my dentist and for all major work is sedated. Depending upon you MIL's financial situation, the added expenses may be covered. bob
December 10, 2011 08:14AM
Sorry I posted a blank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login