Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Does any other PHD Hate Clothes!!!

Posted by Nila 
Does any other PHD Hate Clothes!!!
December 01, 2011 10:17PM
I am having a hard time keeping Bob in clothes...they drive him nuts...he will only ware basketball short around the house...no shirt...even when company comes...shirts feel lie they are choking him...he constantly pulls on them...when we go out of the house he puts on a loose shirt...short sleeve even in the snow and no coat...he says it is to hard to put on a coat...to tuck in his shirt...to ware a belt...can't stand buttons or zippers of any kind...I know everything gets harder and harder for them but is this something every PHD goes through...he is also very hot all the time! Nila
Re: Does any other PHD Hate Clothes!!!
December 02, 2011 06:49AM
Yes, this is not uncommon. Several people have described this problem over the years on various HD forums. I think it is related to a heightened sensitivity to stimuli. Usually once we put something on, clothes, a watch, a ring, or whatever, we don't have any sense of feedback about it after awhile unless it's too tight. I think for some Phds, feedback actually continues rather than fades and leads to a feeling of being overstimulated.

One thing you might try about feeling hot is to use table lamps rather than overhead lights. Even though it makes no known sense and he acknowledged that, my ex always felt hot with overhead lights whereas the same wattage in a table lamp did not make him feel hot. I feel certain that there is some kind of odd light sensitivity going on with many HD patients but I have no idea how that works. It's not the normal light sensitivity where the light is too bright and we need sunglasses but something else I cannot figure out, but like the clothing issue, I've heard about this many times.
December 02, 2011 08:10AM
My husband wil not wear socks now-even in the winter. I'm having to keep the inside thermostat at 55 degrees and it's 24-40 degrees outside. Fortunately I am at work during the day where I can be a little warmer and I just take a hot shower and bundle up when I get home (saves on the heating bill!)
He puts his shirts on backwards and inside out all the time and wears them and has no clue! He just wants to wear his sweat pants and a loose
t-shirt. (actually sounds comfortable to me alsowinking smiley )
December 02, 2011 10:26AM
Marsha
That makes since that it could be overstimulated by clothes as he is also so sensitive to sound. he cannot stand to hear the microwave or the water running in the morning, me cleaning or talking on the phone will drive him back to his room, does not like to be in a store like Wal-mart or Costco, that would all be from being overstimulated. but what i don't understand is he will go to a basketball game wear earplugs but it is still so loud, i just wonder how he can do that but can't even stand the water running.
Also Bob can be really hot even when there are no lights on..only sleeps in a sheet..I have read on here that many seem to run very hot.

LizzieAnn
Thanks for your post...my husband will also wear his shirts inside out and just not care he tells me he got it on and that's all that matters..he will not wear T-shirts at all need tons of room for his neck as he feels like it is choking him..he is also hiding money around the house...not sure what is causing him to do that
December 02, 2011 01:22PM
My son Tim is always hot, does not want to wear shoes, no pockets in his basketball shorts (he hates the pockets touching his skin), only wears a shirt if forced to, shorts and no coat even here in Missouri where it's getting downright chilly! Like your hubby he only wants a sheet on his bed.
My other son is always cold...go figure!

Carla
December 02, 2011 04:18PM
Noone knew not even me that I had Sensory Processing Disorder since I can remember. And as I get older it does get worse with the way that clother feel rougher and more things such as hearing and smell is more sensitive. Could SPD and HD come up together alot I wonder?!
Compression clothes from Champion that are tight fighting is suppose to get the body de stimulated to the stimuli as much. An OT could help with that, my daughter has gotten much better since her OT is working with her!
Melissa
December 02, 2011 04:47PM
Ray always wore basketball shorts, too. He would wear a t-shirt, though, but it had to be loose fitting, as well. He was always hot, so never wanted to wear pants. He would wear them if we went someplace, but usually sweatpants, not jeans.
December 02, 2011 06:02PM
Thanks for your post sounds like it is common with many PHD.
December 05, 2011 02:33PM
Along with Marsha is talking about, how light would signal a response as if it was heat, I noticed that my wife's perceptions were like that.

I think that the brain is kinda "short circuiting"; it's triggering nerves for light with heat, sound for touch, etc. At least to some degree.

My wife's response to pain was delayed, too. She fell and scratched her knee. She didn't have any particular response until she had stood up , walked over, and sit down then she yelled as if she had just done it. It was several moments later.
December 05, 2011 02:53PM
It's all very hard to figure out!!! I will see if he seems worse with brighter lights...Thanks Nila
December 05, 2011 06:17PM
Laura is always frozen to the bone and never warms up. If I am hearing this correctly, instead of turning up the heat all I have to do is turn on some overhead lights.grinning smiley

I'm gonna try it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login