Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Need some good news - feeling down

Posted by juliew 
Need some good news - feeling down
November 07, 2011 08:59PM
Feeling down. My Mom continues to decline, the NH is depressing. I (at risk and 48 years old) am feeling symptomatic lately (memory, concentration). Anyone have any hopeful words re: research etc.?
Re: Need some good news - feeling down
November 07, 2011 09:38PM
I'm sorry that you are having a rough time. Have you read about RNAi? It is very exciting and could be a virtual cure within the next few years. It's possible that all the stress you are going is causing your symptoms. I have read a few stories on here about people thinking they are having HD symptoms when in fact they tested negative. Hang in there, hopefully other's will have more research news.
November 08, 2011 06:23AM
Im sorry you are having a hard time. I know how diificult it can be watching as I watched my grandmother. Stay strong and know that you are not alone!
November 08, 2011 10:02AM
Julie, there's no getting around the fact that this is a hard road we travel. I also have my up times and my down times...when I'm down, I try to do something that is nice for me, something that nurtures me. It can be a walk, a massage, something in the chocolate food group smiling smiley...just take a step back and be kind to you. I don't know where you live but winter coming on, I have to try twice as hard to see the positives that are in my life.

Take care,

Carla
November 08, 2011 05:54PM
Julie, I wish I had some astonishingly good news in the research arena but really it's just more of what I have been reporting for years -- steady progress. I do think it's likely that we will see a clinical trial of RNAi (or antisense) within the next two years. The progress has been steady and a little faster than I expected.

I'm not worried about memory and concentration problems. Stress and aging is the most likely explanation for that. I think you're fine. Before too long, HD is going to be treatable and once that happens I think that we might regret not living our lives to the fullest because we were worried about being at risk or about or loved ones being at risk. I agree with Carla, find ways to do things you enjoy and be good to yourself. You have lots of friends here who want the best for you!

Love,
Marsha
November 09, 2011 08:35AM
My advice is to get tested, I did this past summer after worrying for 20 years that I had inherited HD from my father. I was lucky, and I am negative. I wish I had tested years ago and saved myself from all the worry and stress! And I was sure I had symptoms, ever leg twitch I had in my mind meant I was starting to show symptoms.... Good luck, I know how hard it is to take the step to find out for sure, and only someone who has gone through it can actually understand how hard it really is,,,, I'm hoping you get the same results I did!!!!
eve
November 09, 2011 11:10AM
Julie, I just want to say that I'm not at risk (at least not that I know of), but it's my hubby that's a pHD. But I want to let you know that I'm around your age and I've noticed that my mind is not working as well for the last several months. It's my memory and concentration too. I've started a SSRI which has helped me to get better sleep and also taking some vitamins and melatonin at night to also help with sleep. I feel as if there has been some improvement. In my case, I think it's due to worry/anxiety/stress plus getting older. Just thought I'd let you know my story and that you might not be symptomatic for HD after all. I wish I could offer you some comfort. I think other's had good advice about being kind to yourself and trying to stay positive. Do you also do some of the supplements that Will and Sara have written about in other posts? That is another thought that wouldn't hurt.
November 09, 2011 07:12PM
Thanks everyone. Your replys mean alot to me. I'm hangin in there.
November 10, 2011 08:11AM
Cookie did you start to see symptoms of HD in yourself?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login