Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Getting close to testing

Posted by cougs4ever 
Getting close to testing
November 02, 2011 12:31PM
Need some advice.

I am 5 hours (and a mountain pass full of fresh snow) away from the nearest HDSA testing center in Seattle. I work in a fairly large hospital. There is a genetics professional in our company's e-mail directory. I e-mailed her. She said she can do the testing if I need it. All my family lives near me. Is it worth it to go to Seattle and the HDSA testing center? I am thinking that it would be better to do it here.

Also -- how long does it take for the results?
Re: Getting close to testing
November 02, 2011 02:41PM
Where are you at? We are in Lewiston, Idaho and my husband's neurologist had the blood drawn at the hospital here and sent to California for the DNA testing. We are now set to go to Portland--the Brain Institute at the Oregon Science and Health University. At least the passes are easier than going to Seattle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 05:10PM by Adrienne.
November 02, 2011 03:35PM
The only thing I'd wonder about is if you'd be able to receive the same support/counseling right where you are . . . depending upon your needs/emotional state, the HDSA testing center may be able to provide more information and services to you.
November 02, 2011 04:08PM
I think it also depends on your overall knowledge of HD. The counseling folks at the testing centers provide education as well. If you feel you could handle a positive result without a lot of outside support, I'd opt for the place closest to home. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the blood test results.

Will
November 02, 2011 04:20PM
Well is it bad weather and dangerous to drive? Don't drive in severe weather. I would get the testing where you can. If you want to drive then go....just make sure you are ready! Good luck and don't drive yourself insane with the waiting! PLEASE let us know what your gonna do!
November 02, 2011 04:21PM
Oh and I would opt for the nearest testing facility. Thats just me, but please make sure you have your family and friends for support.
November 02, 2011 05:54PM
Adrienne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where are you at? We are in Lewiston, Idaho and my
> husband's neurologist had the blood drawn at the
> hospital here and sent to California for the DNA
> testing. We are now set to go to Portland--the
> Brain Institute at the Oregon Science and Health
> University. At least the passes are easier than
> going to Seattle.

I am in Spokane. I work for Providence Sacred Heart.

I was leaning towards just getting it done locally, because all of my family is here. I am fairly certain that I will test positive. My mom did not have really bad HD. She lived to 73, and was still living by herself up until 70. I catch myself doing all the same motions she used to do when she was in her 40s.

I want to test now, so I begin taking care of it. I am only taking fish oil and a multi-vitamin supplement right now. I am a happy person for the most part. I think I will handle the negative result fine.
eve
November 02, 2011 06:14PM
Before you test, remember to think everything through such as any insurance you'd like to purchase that would be unavailable with a positive result (such as long term care, disability, life). Good luck. If you feel you are well educated about HD then I would do it locally. Make sure you have support as a backup because even if you think you're prepared, it still might throw you. Let us know how everything goes.
November 03, 2011 10:29AM
We live here in Post Falls....My Husband has HD and 3 sons at risk....we have been to the Genetic Counselor in Spokane and to the HDSA in Seattle...i will PM you if i can figure it out on this new forum...winking smiley
November 03, 2011 10:40AM
Nila Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We live here in Post Falls....My Husband has HD
> and 3 sons at risk....we have been to the Genetic
> Counselor in Spokane and to the HDSA in
> Seattle...i will PM you if i can figure it out on
> this new forum...winking smiley

Just click on the little "PM" by my screen name.
November 03, 2011 10:41AM
They are having me see a gentics counselor first, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login