Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My loss

Posted by howard 
My loss
October 24, 2011 11:37AM
Today I lost my 5 year old beagle Maggie. Two weeks ago she developed immune mediated hemolytic anemia, a disease that destroyed her red blood cells. It was probably caused by her immunizations she had in September. We tried every known therapy and at times it looked like she might make it. Sadly, she lost her battle this morning. Maggie was very important to me and my daughter Allison who has HD and lives in a nursing home. She loved going to the home and visiting with all the patients. I have yet to tell Allison.
When Allison got sick, our entire family (except for my son and in-laws) abandoned us led by my mother who claimed Allison was an embarrassment. For some reason she felt it necessary to alienate everybody from us using promises of money as a carrot. We have not heard from anyone in over five years. This has been very hurtful. Maggie helped ease the pain. Former friends who do not understand HD have all disappeared too. I know others here have gone through this.
I am disabled with a disease called myasthenis gravis. It is a neuro muscular disease. I keep on going for Allison. My doctors don't know why I am still walking.
Here is a tribute I wrote to Maggie this morning. I have only my son to share it with and since so many here feel like family I am posting it here. Bosley and Bronson are my cats, my only family now left at home. I am not looking for sympathy, just trying to grieve.

Goodbye Maggie
Today I lost my constant companion and my loyal friend.
Maggie was by my side from the time I got up in the morning until I went to bed at night. We went everywhere together. Maggie never judged me and loved me unconditionally. She never complained when she felt down and was always there with a kiss when I felt down.
So many people have thrown us by the wayside. I can never adequately express how much that hurts. It eats at me every hour of every day. Maggie helped me cope. I am thankful that I have Bosley and Bronson. They are a joy, but there is no greater joy than a canine companion by your side. Maggie will be my last dog. I could never go through this pain again.
We are all challenged in life, but there are limits. I know that Allison needs me, as do Bosley and Bronson. When their time is done, so will be mine. My mission will be over.
Maggie, thank you for the time we had. It was way too short. You were more than a joy. You know what you meant to me. I miss you. I will always love you.
Your daddy
Re: My loss
October 24, 2011 02:13PM
Howard,

I am sorry for your loss. The remarkable companionship from a canine reaches depths that humans just don't have the ability to share. My daughter and I experienced forms of abandonment from freinds and family durig the progression of her JHD. I have a 15 year old golden retriever. We are the only ones left to our household. He was here to welcome my daughter into the world and here the night she had to leave. Even in my grief (Jordan passed at age 12 in July) He has been the most comforting, reliable friend ever. So when I give you my condolences, please kow that I truly understand and wish you comfort in knowing that Maggie was the best friend and family member you could have when all others fail to provide comfort and understanding.
October 24, 2011 03:53PM
Howard,
I'm so sorry for the loss of Maggie!! I, too, love my little puppy and know how much love and comfort he brings. Thinking of you . . .
October 24, 2011 04:06PM
Oh Howard, I am SO very sorry for your loss. I remember you AND your daughter as I met her when Jimmy was running the NH she was in and Steve and I and several others stopped in for a visit. Your daughter really knows how to light up a room btw. As much as I'd like to say you're better off without those people in your life, I know you really do need them and it's just horrible this has happened to you.

I also have a cat named Bosley, is yours by any chance a long haired orange tabby cat? I also have two dogs and one is "officially" my dog and I can't take 2 steps without him following me, I don't know what I'd do without him. I'm again so very sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing, I appreciate it, PatRose
October 24, 2011 04:46PM
Bosley is actually a black and white short haired cat. Bronson is a short haired gray tabby. Allison and I adopted them from the Humane Society in 2006. She picked them out. They have lived their whole lives together and I couldn't bear to separate them. They came with their names. Bosley knew I was sad today as he spent the whole day cuddling with me. The hard part is that they never leave the house so I can't take them over to visit Allison. She does visit with them when she comes to my house. Sarah Miller told Allison the sad news today. It is so very difficult to speak with her on the phone now and I'm not going over again until Wednesday, so Sarah was kind enough to do it. I was able to take Maggie to visit her last Friday which was a blessing. I was supposed to go yesterday but spent the whole day at the veterinary hospital.
October 24, 2011 04:50PM
Howard, i'm SO sorry!!! We all love you here. Thank you for sharing your Maggie with us (((hugs)))
October 24, 2011 05:05PM
Sorry to hear about Maggie.
eve
October 24, 2011 05:55PM
Howard, you come across as such a kind, wonderful man who has shared much good info and wisdom here. I'm so sorry for your loss of Maggie. She sounds as if she was a remarkable treasure. I'm also so very sorry to hear of the grief in your life. I'm glad your daughter, Allison, got to see Maggie last Friday. Think about the good memories.
October 24, 2011 06:02PM
Aslana loves beagles and sends hugs to you in your loss
October 24, 2011 06:58PM
I am so sorry that you lost your beloved friend Maggie. to lose a trusted friend is a terrible blow. {{{{Howard}}}}

Carla
October 24, 2011 07:07PM
Dusty- Is Aslana a cat? I once had a cat named Aslan. You and I met a few years ago at the Guthrie Center Thanksgiving dinner. You are an amazingly courageous person. Thanks to everyone for your kindness. It really helps!
October 24, 2011 07:19PM
Howard, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Maggie. You are right, our pets are our family and I am glad you feel like you have family here. I feel the same way.

It is just beyond me how your mother and the other family members could have lived so long and have totally missed the meaning of life. I would be so proud to have a son who has gone to such extraordinary lengths to get his daughter into a great facility and overcame obstacle after obstacle to help her life the best life she can. I would be so proud to have a granddaughter who has worked so hard to overcome the symptoms of her disease and get a college degree and to insist on giving something back to the community through her participation in clinical trials. Apparently your mother has never heard of unconditional love. But you have and I know that it has enriched your life. What these people who turn away from their 'loved ones' in adversity fail to grasp is that living a shallow, self-absorbed life is ultimately an unsatisfying, unfulfilled life.

Sending love and big hugs.
October 24, 2011 08:18PM
Marsha-
I can tell that you have a PHD because you got that exactly right. When I owned businesses and was somewhat successful, my mother sometimes pretended to care. Then my dad died and Allison and I got sick and she disowned us. She even disowned my son, apparently because he remained loyal to me. She started badmouthing me to my sister and cousins, promising them my share of her estate. When she publicly announced that I was out of her will, she started giving her possessions to distant cousins. One by one they all stopped talking to me. I would hear what she was saying until the last cousin stopped seeing us. I tried for years to get her to visit Allison, but finally gave up. The thing that she couldn't stand was that money didn't matter to me. My family was all that mattered. She could not understand that. It will always bother me, but I've got other things to worry about. I guess losing Maggie got me thinking about it even more. Tonight I'm reconnecting with my cats. They're all over me and realize that Maggie is missing. The three of them were such great friends. They even slept together. I'm glad I've got people here who will listen.
October 24, 2011 08:18PM
Sorry Howard about your Maggie. As far as your family, it's their loss. They will get theirs when the time comes.
October 24, 2011 11:59PM
Aslana is named for Aslan but she's a girl,she's a tri colour sheltie which amazed my kids cuz they thought she's be lion coloured but Aslan was blaack and white in my narnia books. my dogs get their first names as puppies then earn the second name which is barksalot. My last dog was Shadow for the song me and my shadow. smartest dog of all, ran the house, open cupbaords with kindergardn locks to have a bottle of crisco oil, and a piece of chocolate. Shadow talked all the time, and showed me how effective a dog's mouth is using her eye teeth to clean around a puppies eyes, nose,
but missed the kids dying before the grandchildren were born, one of her grandchildren was born when she died and that was a big temptation but no other dog could live up to shadow. she also sang when I plyed chariots of fire on the piano, I have it taped somewhere, in pitch.

I got Aslana to train as hearing ear dog for myself . She goes everywhere with me even to the top of mt. Washington, and knows where we are going when a lake involved and naigara falls.

take care.love dusty
October 25, 2011 04:00AM
You know Howard, years ago we had a small multipoo, we adored her. And she used to love it when we had pizza, cus we'd give her the pizza crusts lol. Well after she passed, every time we ordered pizza, for at least the next year, we'd rip off our crusts for the dog, and then, well you can guess lol, we'd burst into tears and say d*mn pizza lol. So we thought we'd get two cats, cus they are easier to take care of, and thought it would fill the empty spot...NOT lol, cats don't run to greet you at the door, jump into your lap, or give kisses. I've even wanted a small dog lately, someone to talk to, not the same as my husband...but maybe almost? smiling smiley Anyways, can't have pets where i live. Again im so sorry Howard, but your little Maggie really was your best friend, im so sorry (((hugs)))
October 25, 2011 07:52AM
Howard, I'm so sorry. I know what it feels like to lose a beloved & loyal canine family member. I hope you can be grateful to have had Maggie's companionship for the time that you did. I know Maggie was lucky to have such great owners too.
October 25, 2011 04:39PM
Howard,
Although i have never met you in person, I feel like I know you from meeting you here on the forum. I am so sorry for the loss of your dog and friend, Maggie. I am so glad that your son, and in-laws have stood by your side and that you consider us, here on the forum, as part of your family. I consider you as part of my family, too. I have been with you, in spirit when you fought for the Nursing home's assitance when Alison wanted to particpate in a clinical trial. You will be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I am glad your cats are close by your side and the staff at Laurel Lakes told Allison about Maggie. Again, I am so sorry for your loss and all of your losses.

Paula (from NJ)
October 25, 2011 08:27PM
Howard I am so sorry to hear about Maggie! We have a golden retriever and a pug and I dread the day we loose them. They are both around 10 years old. We also have 2 cats and one of them does follow me around and loves to snuggle, especially when I'm upset. I'm glad that you do have your cat's to keep you company.

I cannot even imagine how it must feel to have your mom turn her back on you and your daughter, as a mom myself it's totally unimaginable how a parent could do that. Especially when you need family the most! I also think of all of you as family. My life definitely changed for the better when I found all of you. you sound like a very strong person' You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login