Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

supplements to start with..

Posted by Jac802 
supplements to start with..
October 24, 2011 01:13AM
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend who has the HD gene wants to start some supplements; which ones are believed to be most beneficial for those who have HD/HD gene? Also, what are your thoughts about melatonin (new study shows it may be a promising supplement for those affected by HD)?
Re: supplements to start with..
October 24, 2011 09:23AM
Jac802,

I think creatine, fish oil, wild blueberries and trehalose would be the best. Search the forum for dosages and sources. We're waiting for some more info on melatonin from our experts.

Will

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 09:25AM by Will.
October 24, 2011 10:45AM
Will, I've got the melatonin article up now on HDSA. I think the research on this is really promising but as for dosage, I don't have any idea. I've been looking up other clinical trials and the dosage varies widely. The other issue with melatonin is its very short half life it's out of your system quickly. I remember a study done in 2005 with a mouse model of PD. Melatonin was a very substantial treatment but only when continuously infused into the brain. Does anyone know if there is a slow-release version available?
eve
October 24, 2011 06:00PM
I wonder if melatonin is okay to take during the day or would it mess up one's sleep cycle? Maybe better just to dose at night or would that not be effective enough?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 08:17AM by eve.
October 24, 2011 08:11PM
iHerb has several timed release melatonin products:

[www.iherb.com]
October 25, 2011 03:07PM
Marsha -

Here in the UK we have a 2mg MR melatonin tablet under the brand Circadin.

Here's a link to it's release on the NPC website -

[www.npc.nhs.uk]

Kathy x
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login