Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Chorea (a.k.a. Re: Rep. Perriello)

Chorea (a.k.a. Re: Rep. Perriello)
October 19, 2011 01:24AM
I know this is a bit off topic, but in such cases of major chorea, shouldn't a person do all they can to get chorea under control with medications

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 09:57PM by SteveI.
Re: Chorea (a.k.a. Re: Rep. Perriello)
October 19, 2011 10:10PM
It depends on your definition of "major chorea" and the needs of the patient. Some HD+ patients report that the chorea doesn't bother them and some report that they don't even notice it. So in that case since there is always a risk-benefit decision to be made when taking powerful medications. If it's not bothering the patient and it's not severe enough to cause major caregiving or health issues then does the benefit outweigh the drawbacks of possible depression or other medical side-effects?

A caregiver should advise the doctor about all of the issues that they observe about how the chorea is affecting the patient (I'm assuming that it's already been discussed with the patient). The patient will probably have a different perspective, and the doctor will have an opinion also. Ultimately the patient makes the call and it is not always to address the chorea. Oftenthey may start out thinking that they want to try to treat the chorea and not have the discipline (or the money) to continue.

Steve
Coffee and computer
October 20, 2011 05:31PM
I have very little and it used to be worse. i think fish oil helps with mine. I have hd about 10 years. I think people think my hd isnt advanced because they dont see it. and that includes docters. I have never taken medicine for it,
Laura
PK
October 20, 2011 07:20PM
How much fish oil do you take, any other supplements?
October 21, 2011 09:21AM
I take about 1 softgel a day. and green tea. and I just started trehulose.
Laura
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login