Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

im new and really scared

Posted by edyta 
im new and really scared
October 08, 2011 12:35PM
hello im 24 year old mum of 3,5 year old. Found out that my mother has a huntington disease, (my parents split up when i was four and i lived with my dad, not having any contact with my mother) i am really scared to go for a test to find out the results. Have seen many videos and its the scariest thing i have ever seen. im also worried about my son since i am in separation with my husband for a year now, im not sure what should i do especially i dont have any family around. i never been an outspoken person saying to anyone about my problems but now i just feel like having anyone around with a good word
Re: im new and really scared
October 08, 2011 02:10PM
You have every right to be concerned. Have you talked to your dad about it?
October 08, 2011 03:17PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget that you also have a 50% chance of not having the gene. You sound like you're from the UK, since you used the word "mum". Matty, a frequent poster here, runs a wonderful HD support organization for young people in the UK.

You are not alone!!!!

Will
Raleigh, NC USA
October 09, 2011 11:16AM
I'm new too, and it is really terrifying suddenly finding out you're at-risk... >_>

Maybe take a couple of weeks to relax and try not to think about it too hard? The harder I thought about it, the more freaked out I would get. It's been a month or so since I found out and I'm feeling a lot more stable about it and ready to test when I get insurance covered.

You could try and connect with family and see how they're doing, just to have that bridge there. Or just spend some time with really good friends, they kind you know will be there for you no matter what.

In the end testing can be a hard choice, and many people choose not to, and that's completely okay. smiling smiley
October 09, 2011 01:25PM
Welcome, Edyta!

Carla
October 14, 2011 10:53AM
Welcome Edyta,

I agree with Noni on the fact that finding out you're at risk for HD out of the blue can be an incredibly difficult thing to deal with. Going onto google tends not to help either, sometimes it does the opposite and scares you senseless. I'm 23, and tested positive when I was 19, so if you would like to talk feel absolutely free to message me on here. smiling smiley

Take care,
Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
October 14, 2011 11:49AM
Welcome to the board.
October 17, 2011 04:00PM
Welcome. I'm sorry for your reasons for being here, but so glad that you've found this place.

I'm just about your age, and realized my Mom had HD about 2 years ago now. It's horrible to have to worry about the health of your loved ones and yourself at the same time. But there's more and more hope each day, lots of things in the pipeline that could make a huge difference in what it means to have HD.
November 10, 2011 04:58PM
We didn't have the test when first married 39 yrs ago. My wife wasn't tested until she had symptoms. However, with you having children you will be worried sick about them, so having the test may be best for you. It would be a relief if you are negative and know your kids are safe from it. Both of my boys tested negativeso in this branch of her family it stops with her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login