Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Will and Marsha - questions on creatine

Posted by Shar 
Will and Marsha - questions on creatine
September 19, 2011 11:23AM
Will,
My husband has been taking creatine and other supplements for years. I feel the creatine has played a huge role in helping him against
his battle with HD. He had been taking the creatine from Avicena (neotine) but now they say it is not availabe and they do not know when it
will be. It is supposed to be a medical grade.

Is the creatine you take a medical grade?

Also, where do you get your creatine and the brand name please - I would appreciate that.

Marsha-
Do you know if a pharmaceutical grade creatine is as good as the medical grade?
Also, do you know why Avicena is unavailable for an unknown period of time? Would it be because of the HD creatine trials in any way?

Thank you both very much.

Shar
Re: Will and Marsha - questions on creatine
September 19, 2011 03:59PM
Shar,

I took Neotine for some time but switched to another brand when it became unavailable due to being used in a clinical trial. Here's what I've been using for several years. [www.vitaminshoppe.com] AST is a good company and this price from Vitaminshoppe.com is a good one.

As an aside, I recently reduced my dose from 20g a day split in two doses to one 10-12 dose in the morning. The second dose was occasionally causing me intestinal problems in the evening, if you catch my drift. Align probiotic helps a little with the morning loose problem, but nothing I've found cures that. I'm a small person (125 lbs) so I'm hoping the 10 plus dose is enough. I believe the clinical trial is doing 20g a day, so I'll be interested to see results at that level.

I did stay at the 10g dose for a number of years when I first started my supplement regimen.. Of course there's no way to tell what is keeping my symptom free. I'm not about to stop dropping my supplements one-by-one to see which was helping. I don't know if Neotine is significantly better than others. Marsha or Lavonne will probably know. I seem to recall there are only a few companies world-wide who manufacture creatine. The others just process and distribute.

Will
Re: Will and Marsha - questions on creatine
September 22, 2011 08:07PM
Will-

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it. I will try this creatine for my husband.

Shar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login