Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Numbness

Posted by Allie 
Numbness
August 24, 2001 04:47PM
Can someone tell me if numbness and pins and needles in your arms and legs is a symptom of HD. I just tested positive in April and I'm still trying to find out if I'm
symtomatic yet. Thanks for any help .
RE: Numbness
August 25, 2001 02:23PM
Allie-

I have had similar symptoms as you mentioned above but am no expert. I, fortuneately or unfornuately, have not been genetically tested for HD but have similar symptoms to the overall HD picture. My neurologist told me yesterday that he wanted me tested and I would like to hear more about the process of testing, if positive test results mean you definitely have HD and if you feel it was worth it to be tested.

Phil
August 26, 2001 05:07AM
Phil the procedure I went through was not typical for HD testing.

I was living in Germany and I went on my Easter holidays to Texas to be tested. I did not receive any pychological support before or after. I tested anonymously. I had justed turned forty and I was anxious to know if I had the mutation. My father died at 47 with no symptoms. Now I live in Scotland and I talked to a psychiatrist just last week. He thinks that I'm not symtomatic (but I forgot to tell him about this numbness). My suggestion for you is to have as must support from family, friends, and medical professionals as possible. As much as I HATE being HD positive I really am glad that I know. It's been four months now. It's been very emotional. I certainly underestimated my ability to deal with the results. I was naive in thinking that I could just deal with it on an intellectual level. I've only told a few people about my HD status. My family is in Canada ...now that I'm in Scotland I feel a very isolated-no friends or family (except my husband and son). Every person who is at risk must decide for themselves if they want to test. You give up a degree of hope when you test positive. I'm a bit of a control freak and I like information so I really needed to know. I'm actually positive that there will be something soon for treatment or delay of onset. I don't know if that helped Phil.
August 26, 2001 11:39AM
Allie, I am sorry that this has happened to you. It seems that when one is
most fragile and in need their support seems to vanish. My family,
especially my brother who I had asked for money for neurofeedback equipment,
does not understand. My cognitive and perceptual problems are significant
and my decline dramatic. I am just not sure anymore that when a doctor says
he wants me to do a test for a certain disease, how much it implies that I
may have the disease. My symptoms are so pervasive though and I feel
something is going on physically. My mood is not depressed and I can write
but have a hard time speaking or conveying myself. I guess I am rather
tangenial and circumstantial. I meet a lot of the symptoms for hd I have
read about but can think of no one in my family who has ever been diagnosed.
My father died at 45 of what was described as coranary problems but this is
pretty unclear.

I have insurance but our finances have been so strained. What is the
expense like for genetic testing? By the way, it is nice to be able to talk
to someone about this as I think my wife is close to burn out and I try not
to speak with her about it. She is not burnt out on our relationship, just
wiith me talking about this all the time.

Phil
August 28, 2001 07:26AM
DEAR ALLIE & PHIL,

AS A POSITIVE HD PERSON AT 38 I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND HELP WITH A FEW THINGS IF I CAN. FIRST ALLIE...PINS IN NEEDLES IN THE ARMS AND HANDS IS A COMMON COMPLAINT OF PEOPLE WITH STRESS....I HAVE FOUND THAT A RIGOROUS JOG REALLY CLEANS IT OUT SO TO SPEAK..I MEAN A REALLY SWEATTY JOG...I ALSO AM ON A VERY SMALL DOSE OF EFFEXOR WHICH HAS PRETTY MUCH CLEARED UP AN ACHES OR PAINS..A TRUE MIRACLE AS WELL AS EASED AN EDGINESS OR TEMPERMENT....AND PHIL MY FRIEND...I'M AFRAID THIS IS WHAT ALOT OF DOCTORS DO...TRYING TO RULE OUR OUR ILLNESSES THEY HAVE US WORRY ABOUT EVERYTHING THEY THROW AT US..SOMETIMES IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR THEM TO JUST TEST US ....I AGREE BUT THE LAWS ON CONFIDENTIALITY ARE CLEAR WHEN IT COMES TO GENETIC TESTING..THEY MUST HAVE OUR PERMISSION SO THAT WE CAN MAKE THE CHOICE OF WHETHER WE WANT TO CHANCE OUR INSURANCE COMPANIES KNOWING ALL THIS GENETIC INFORMATION. I'LL TELL YOU THOUGH....I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND IT CAN REALLY DAMAGE YOUR COGNITIVE AND CAN IMPAIR YOU A GREAT DEAL WITH ALL OF YOUR SYMPTOMS....AND DAMAGE TO THE BRAIN CAN CAUSE ALL OF THESE EFFECTS. MANY, MANY, MANY HAVE TESTED AND THOUGHT FOR SURE THEY WERE POSITIVE AND HAD EVEN BEEN ON MAJOR ANTIDEPRESSANTS BUT THEN LATER FOUND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE GENE. THIS MAY NOT BE YOUR CASE BUT IS ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY FOR YOU. I HANDLED MY TESTING VERY WELL BECAUSE I HAVE A STRONG FAITH AND A STRONG FAMILY BUT MANY HAVE NOT HANDLED THIS INFORMATION SO WELL SO IT IS A VERY, VERY PERSONAL CHOICE. I WOULDN'T VENTURE TO KNOW HOW ANY ONE PERSON WOULD FEEL ABOUT THIS TESTING. FOR ME..IT WAS A RELIEF AND KNOWLEDGE FOR ME WAS POWER...BUT FOR SOME IT IS A DEATH SENTENCE. I HOPE AND PRAY THAT WHATEVER THE OUTCOME THAT YOU MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. THIS FORUM IS FOR ALL OF US TO SHARE AND EXPRESS OUR FEELINGS AND QUESTIONS...FEEL FREE TO ASK ANYTIME....TAKE CARE TO YOU BOTH AND GOD BE WITH YOU ALWAYS....SUNSHINE CINDY....SUNSHINE4HD*at*AOL.COM
Allie
August 28, 2001 02:19PM
Sunshine Cindy I take long walks but I know that a good jog will truly help me - (of course my body hasn't jogged in a while) it will help with the stress and release those endorphins. I also believe that knowledge is power. I promise myself to lace up my sneakers this evening and run. I'll let you know if I make it! :^) What is Effexor? Do you have pain when you run?
August 29, 2001 07:00AM
Effexor is an antidepressant but they often use it as a pain blocker....My doctor says they still don't know why it works this way but it does and with little or no side effects like the other antidepressants. I used it for my neck pain from a car accident and have stayed on it because my mental health has improved much more. I do not get depressed but I would have fits of temperment as I call it. My friends and hubby say its just running 3 angels around constantly and never stopping...ha ha. With that jog..make sure you sweat...ok. I always feel a difference if I sweat and yes it has lots to do with the endorphins..Many medical researchers are saying that a jog is as good as antidepressants for some. I've been running for many years but when I was in a car accident..I stopped. That's when the pins and needles started. Even before I was on the medication I would run and it would disappear. But going on the medication....I could stop for days on running and not have it return....I hope this helps..Please keep me updated..Take Care and God Bless...P.S. I also find that relaxation methods have helped my overall feeling...If you would like I can send you information on that too....Sunshine Cindy.....or email me at sunshine4hd*at*aol.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login