Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Hurricane...be careful everyone

Posted by Barb 
Hurricane...be careful everyone
August 25, 2011 08:05PM
Just a note to all our friends on east coast, please take care of yourselves! I know you guys get lots of hurricanes, but they said on news tonight will be the strongest one in 50 years. Will hit north carolina tomorrow, then maryland and up the coast. So please be careful Will, and Steve and Marsha, and Dave and many more...we will all be hoping the best for all of you, and DO take care!
Re: Hurricane...be careful everyone
August 25, 2011 10:19PM
Barb,

Thank you for caring. I am in the path of this bad hurricane, and it really making me nervous. I wish everyone to be safe also that is in the path of this really bad storm.

Edwina
August 25, 2011 10:24PM
Oh gosh, stay safe Edwina...you will be fine, just be ready to leave if they say leave (((hugs)))
August 25, 2011 10:46PM
I'm along the western edge of the path near Washington, D.C., but not very comfortable being this close. I just might drive 3 hours to western Pennsylvania and enjoy the weekend. Why sit here and worry...cannot change anything anyway.

The storms usually pass by off the coast. I think the last one that messed with us near Washington D.C. was Isabel a good number of years ago. Back then, we mainly got lots of rain and lost power 5 days--some wind around 45 MPH.

Be careful everyone.
August 25, 2011 10:52PM
Dave!!! So good to see you!!! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley I hope you're doing well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 10:56PM by Barb.
August 26, 2011 07:56AM
Thanks, Barb. Raleigh isn't in the path of this one. We'll escape with rain and wind. We had ours 15 years ago with Fran. It came right through Raleigh and tore the city into little pieces.

Will
August 26, 2011 08:31AM
Chincoteague is expected to be hit hard. All nonresidents are being evacuated. We are staying in Delaware, also near the coast, but are especially worried about our new home.
August 26, 2011 10:47AM
we are on the south shore of Long Island. I am very scared.
August 26, 2011 01:57PM
We are in raleigh like Will. I'm worried about our timeshare which is in the outerbanks. In the last storm we lost the pool. the resort is ocean front.
our unit is set back a little with a veiw on the deck. I told pete someday we would be ocean front. Maybe with this storm!!
Laura
August 26, 2011 07:16PM
Marsha, the news just said delaware is going to be hit very hard, and is under evacuation now. I hope you and steve will decide to get out and head west a bit, theyre saying this is one of the worst hurricanes theyve ever seen
August 26, 2011 08:19PM
Barb ,

Thank you, we are preparing now, but it looks like the wind may not be as bad as was expected. I am hoping the tree does not fall on my house.

Everyone , I hope you are all safe.

edwina
August 26, 2011 08:24PM
Barb, they aren't evacuating our area at this point. It's the beach areas and the city of New Castle and Delaware City. Nichole and I went out for supplies today. We got canned food, bottled water, sodas, a Coleman propane stove, propane, a metal folding table for the stove so we can cook out on the open porch, a clock radio with a lithium backup battery, extra batteries and flashlights and stick-up lights and a charger for the cell phones that works in the car. We also filled up the car and truck with gas. And since Borders is going out of business, we got books to read. I think we are ready.

Residents have been asked to evacuate Chincoteague.
August 26, 2011 08:31PM
Ooooooh, ok Marsha smiling smiley Sounds like you're prepared. Oh you should get wieners and marshmallows too for your bbq smiling smiley
August 26, 2011 08:45PM
I was a little surprised to read that this storm might be closer to us than I thought, but nothing compared to what some places will experience. I think NYC is in a state of panic. I too hope that everyone is safe! I hope that as soon as possible everyone will check in and let us know that you are safe and sound. I do realize that some people may be without power for days, but please update us when you can. Take care everyone!
August 26, 2011 08:51PM
Yes, our news just said they are shutting down public transit in new york city. And washington and pensylvania are under evacuation now too. We dont usually get hurricane's here in bc, the only one i remember was years ago, the night my lil sister was born lol, hurricane freida. It took part of our roof off, and almost everyone, including us, couldnt get their cars out of their driveways lol, because back then, everything was ditches, with little wooden bridges over the ditches, and everyones driveway bridges got ripped out, so everyone had to rebuild their bridges before they could get their cars out of their driveways lol
August 26, 2011 09:45PM
Edwina, does your house insurance cover hurricane's? Or maybe natural disasters aren't covered.
August 27, 2011 02:47PM
Wind and rain are here now even though the hurricane is still hours away. The ground is already supersaturated. I'm surprised we still have power. We lose it here in this neighborhood when someone sneezes hard!

How are our North Carolina folks doing?
August 27, 2011 03:46PM
We're fine in Raleigh. Just a few limbs down in my yard. However, it's been raining since last night. The back edge of the storm keeps rotating and we're right on the far edge. Folks 20 miles to the west are in the clear. The lights have flickered a few times, but we haven't lost power. We did lose it for 8 days during Fran a few years ago. That got very old.

Barb asked about hurricane insurance. There's one odd thing about it. Most homeowners policies will cover water damage if it comes from a hole in your roof or wall. However, if your street floods because of a hurricane and gets in your house, it's not covered unless you have separate flood insurance. Luckily that's fairly cheap.

Will
August 27, 2011 04:01PM
Floor insurance on Chincoteague is $1700 and I didn't get it. I thought I'd wait a year and save up. Sighhhh.

Glad you are okay, Will!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 04:01PM by Marsha.
August 27, 2011 04:49PM
Thanks, Marsha. I meant flood insurance in unlikely areas is cheap. We owned an oceanfront condo for some years on North Topsail Beach and half of the homeowners's association dues was for flood insurance. Good luck with Irene.

WB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login