Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Drop Foot

Posted by PhilBro 
Drop Foot
July 28, 2011 03:13AM
My wife has drop foot, making walking more difficult.
She has hard time lifting that leg using stairs.
Just wondering is this common for HD ?
Thanks
Phil
Re: Drop Foot
July 28, 2011 04:04AM
Hi Phil, i actually didn't know what foot drop was, so i googled it, and found a very good site, that says one thing that can cause it is neurological diseases that cause muscle weakness. Here is the article:

[www.ninds.nih.gov]
July 28, 2011 06:28AM
you can try an AFO brace. it fits into her shoe and keeps her ankle at a 90 degree ankle.
consult your MD, it would be made by a orthotics co, and is covered by most medical insurances.

It's hard to say whether this would be related to he HD or not. if she has generalized weakness anywhere else, could be. I would be very suspect of such localized weakness as being part of her HD. Doe she have any back problems, or recent surgeries to that leg? Diabetic neuropathy can also lead to foot drop. Regardless of the cause, the treatment for footdrop is generally the same.

Patty
Occ Therapist
July 28, 2011 12:29PM
Yeah, what is "drop foot" ?
July 28, 2011 12:30PM
Hi PhilBro-

You might also have a look at an active device for drop foot made by a company named Bioness. Originally developed for stoke, it is now being used by people with drop foot as a result of multiple sclerosis and other indications. I am aware of this for non-HD reasons.

You can read more about it here: www.bioness.com/Bioness_for_Foot_Drop.php.

Robi

Robi Blumenstein
CHDI Management/CHDI Foundation
robi.blumenstein@chdifoundation.org
www.chdifoundation.org
July 28, 2011 01:59PM
read my link fred, it explains it...i didnt know what it was either fred lol, til i googled it
July 31, 2011 08:43PM
Fred..

Every time we take a step, the muscles on the front of the shin contract to lift our toes, to make sure we don't drag our toes and stub our toes. In "Drop Foot" the peroneal nerve is for some reason interrupted, causing weakness in the peroneal, or "lift foot" muscles, leading to "drop foot".

Generally leads to tripping on said toes, and starting to alter your gait pattern by lifting your leg very high in order to clear your toe. an AFO would keep your foot from dropping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login