Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

someone broke in our house...

Posted by klivin 
someone broke in our house...
July 18, 2011 07:38PM
Last Monday night, in the middle of the night, with the four of us sleeping...a man broke in our house. My chihuahua, barking, was what woke my husband. He startled the person, was unsure himself that it was even real or was he dreaming and they ran out the back door. He was calm, checked on the children, woke me and we called the police. We spent the entire night up dealing with the police, and in the end the man (or boy, he was 19) was caught. My husband remained calm and rational. I, on the other hand, was not. For days I struggled....we argued about it and in the end we came to understand each other's point of view. My husband is pHD who is considered "pre-motor" according to our COE. My point in talking about this, is that my anxiety and worry about this disease leads me to believe that my husband will be the irrational one and "oh my how will I handle it". Not to say that this won't happen.....I know that I have many years ahead of me.....but hopefully if it does happen I will handle it the way he dealt with me..I won't say that I am not sad or anxious when I think about the day that he is not able to do that....but who knows??? Maybe, just maybe, there will be an effective treatment. If not, I have today. I have the wonderful memories we are creating with our vacation next week and two kids that give me joy everyday.
eve
Re: someone broke in our house...
July 19, 2011 07:49AM
Sorry about the break-in. Good news they caught the responsible person. Very interesting post and thoughts! I too feel a lot like you do in wondering how I will handle any mental changes especially if he does get irrational. I have a lot of anxiety about this and other things and I've just sort of been thinking I might start an SSRI or some similar anti-anxiety medication myself. I need to stay on top of my game.
July 19, 2011 08:42AM
Eve:

Ironically (or maybe not) I have been feeling the same way. My inability to manage my emotions on this may be worse than his symptoms sometimes I think...and wouldn't that be a kick in the pants???
July 19, 2011 08:46AM
I think you all will be ok - it is ironic that the HD person may be the less anxious, more rational at this time - but it seems we do what we have
to do and we have more strengths than we know when we need them.
Enjoy each day and I, too, pray a cure will be coming soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login