Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Anyone been passed on the HD gene from their father but started with symptoms much later than their father?

Posted by LJH 
I guess this follows my post a moment ago! Thanks
My father HD started with age of 40. And his son, my half-brother, first smytoms started with 39 .
I think there have been cases of this, but it is more common to have the late onset if you have gotten the HD gene from the mother.
My husbands father passed away at 50. My husband is in the early stages and is 56. There were five childern in the family all have or had HD. His oldest sister passed away 50ish as did his two brothers. His other sister is 57 and in late stage. Hope this helps.
My grandmother had late onset, She passed away at 83 and she got it from her father.
My mother got it from her father. Not sure when he started but mother's HD was dxed at age 40, my sister was dxe by andre barbeau in her late 30's and was 42 when she died. My HD was dxed at 50 but NOBODY knew hd was in the family because of thee difficulties of having the first genetic disease, not getting jobs, education or insurance.

I lost the ability to write in 1996 when I was 46, and dealt with depression which blamed on early menopause. My feet were hard on the accelerator.

I have had one shrink say I was obsessive compulsive and making up the HD.

It took several years to get through diagnosis obstacles. When they opened the envelope the first words out of my mouth were @#$% you dr, #$%^.

having had one doctor who knew about HD as young woman I can say all the rest of them know much less about HD than I do. People forget people over the years and you'd think it was solitary nancy wexler who went as a hero to venezuela but Dr. Andre Barbeau was the doctor to ID HD. He was our family neuro for my generation. He did base line wiriting circles and recorded brain waves.

I told Dr. Maz at McMAster and he said he only did that to get paid. Medical education factors out HD. Dr. Maz was extremely reluctant to dx my HD. Many doctors just cannot get passed the point of DX which means giving a disabled person money

I forced the issue with his resident whose name was Dr. Huntington and she had never heard of HUNTINGTON DISEASE and had to look it up on emedcine.

The medical system took my driver's license with the HD dx but I said I'm not driving because I worry about killing people but I need my license for ID. I had a near miss coming off the 401 to turn north a corner I've driven 1000 times
I got out of the car and let Barb drive the rest of the way.

then driving our delapidated Saturn which was overheating I realized I was close to home and should get water there, pulled off the road dropped the back off the shoulder at Reids curling coach's house who came out with his tractor.

Then after dropping Ross in Oakville I drove home and hit the rut to get mail from the box, hit the box very slowly and crumpled to passenger side of the car. I was aware of missing the driver in time and space that fuction just stopped.

I have the best drving re cord now, no speediing or accidents. Too bad they don't average his and mine.
My grandfather started symptoms at 45 or so but it may have been sooner due to drinking. My dad was 36. Lets hope I am the rare exception. I am 30.

~ Laura Q.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login