Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

pHD pursuing educational goal....need input....

Posted by klivin 
pHD pursuing educational goal....need input....
July 05, 2011 11:16AM
Hello all:

I need some input from some of you out there. My husband, pHD, 40 (CAG 42), mild symptoms possible (some toe/finger twitches) is attempting to return to school to pursue a certificate in drug counseling. In NYS we have a program called VESID (now ACCES) which pays for training and education for the disabled. Substance abuse is a category covered, as a person in recovery he is pursuing them paying for this, His recovery is very important to him and he feels as if counseling will be an extension of this. I am very proud of the work he has done. The state agency is now asking that his neurologist and psychiatrist fill out paperwork to confirm that he will be able to achieve this goal. I have spoken with the SW at our COE and they will see him this week to fill out the paperwork. I am worried that they will say no and it will devastate him. Can anyone out there give me an idea of whether or not they have worked towards a goal like this while in the early stages of the disease. I feel as if it is best for him to keep his mind and body active. Anyone? Bueller?
Re: pHD pursuing educational goal....need input....
July 05, 2011 11:36AM
I can't imagine that they would presume to know how is going to be 1-2-3-5-10 years down the road. It is impossible to know. If these are his docs from his COE then they should be his advocates and complete the paperwork using his current abilities. There is no upside and no reason to do anything to interfere with him pursuing this - it sounds great. This is just my completely uninformed opinion. I hope all goes well...
July 05, 2011 11:49AM
Thanks Hope...

I spoke to the SW we both know and she felt it was something the staff would support.
July 05, 2011 12:50PM
That is great - sounds like the best thing he could do for himself. I know my husbands work is soooooo good for him - keeping his brain challenged...
July 05, 2011 01:28PM
I didn't realize your husband was still working...
July 05, 2011 03:33PM
Yes - my husband is a prosecutor - he just did a very demanding murder trial in recently. His work is very important to him. He is also trying to write a book about a previous trial - slow going but he is motivated. He is pretty senior and seems to be doing OK but not like he used to (he is frustrated with his performance and his memory)...
July 05, 2011 07:01PM
that is very encouraging for me Hope. I was concerned about whether or not he would be able to continue with the goal....I feel like he will be able to. The goal is strictly personal....it is not to make a lot of money or anything..its just for him. For that reason I think its important for him to stay motivated. He reads a lot too...seems to have no problem with recall or memory yet...I know that won't be forever...but for now if he canaccomplish this goal Ithink it will do wonders for him....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login