Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

memantine

Posted by Hope2 
memantine
June 30, 2011 07:12PM
Hi -
My husband is on 5mg memantine for @ 1 month and has not felt anything. what dosage are people taking? should we go to 10mg?

any input is helpful.

Thanks!
Re: memantine
June 30, 2011 09:09PM
Did the doctor give any indication what dose he should go to? Dr G here usually prescribes 5mg once a day for one week, then 5mg twice a day after that, but that doesnt mean each person isn't individual too. I think there's some here on the forum that only take 5mg/day and do good on that. A few people have done bad on it, from what i've seen here on the forum, but most, including me, notice quite a difference at 3 weeks, always seems to be the same story, that at 3 weeks, suddenly person feels like they've just come out of a fog.
June 30, 2011 09:48PM
Thanks very much Barb. The doc we are seeing is sort of following our lead on this one. He said there is a slight risk of seizure as the dosage goes up but I mentioned that some people with HD were on 10mg and he was open to it. I was hoping my husband would have that "lifted fog" feeling I have read about from you and others but so far he has not...
pab
July 04, 2011 07:37PM
My mom takes 5mg 2 x a day and seems to be doing ok with it. She never expressed that she felt "foggy" at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login