Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

nursing home jendoc6262

Posted by jdoc420 
nursing home jendoc6262
June 23, 2011 03:45PM
my husband was commited last night to a psy facility he was 302 but so far for 72 hours. i can no longer take care of him he is a threat to my two girls and myself he takes his meds when he feels like it his walking isnt good at all falling alot and not taking care of himself . also he is kicking me out of house throwing stuff out windows an waking us at all hours of night . i need to have him placed in a home i cannot let him come home but ive been on the phone all day an have no answers can anyone help me and the social worker in my area is at the HD convention an her back up isnt available to monday
Re: nursing home jendoc6262
June 23, 2011 04:08PM
So sorry you are going through this! Where are you located?
June 23, 2011 06:26PM
I also am sorry that you are going through this. Your husband sounds a lot like mine. First thing tomorrow contact the social worker at the facility where he is and tell them that you refuse to take him home and needs to be placed in a Nursing home or some other type of facility. Don't let them bully you into taking him home. They obviously know he's a threat other wise he wouldn't be there. My husband went into the hospital because of a medication side effect, spent 2 weeks, then went to a NH from there. The NH has tried a couple of times to get me to bring him home, but each time I have refused. Just remember that they cannot force you to especially if it's a safety issue.

I don't know your money situation, but if you do get him placed you should consider applying for medicaid ASAP! Because I also have kids at home I also had a trust drawn up called a special needs medicaid reimbursement trust. It allows me to put any money that I would normally have to pay to the NH into the trust. I can use that money to pay the mortgage. Without it I would have to contribute almost $900 a month to the NH. Good luck and keep us posted!
June 23, 2011 10:10PM
thank you and im located in delaware county pa
June 23, 2011 10:10PM
thank you and im located in delaware county pa
June 23, 2011 10:15PM
thank you judy i thought the same thing very similar situations i went to the facility tonight thank god i did cause they informed me he was having a hearing tomorrow so i will b there by 830 and i left a message for the social worker tonight to call me asap and left a message that i refuse to take him home . money situation isnt great our mortgage is paid by his ssi he does have medicare and is covered by my insurance which is blue cross blue shield anthem. i really really appreciate the info its been a very tough road and its time for a nh he dosent know it yet and i have 2 girls and tonight is so nice we are all sitting together in the living room watching the phillies and we havent done this in years thanks again
June 24, 2011 12:39AM
Good luck! I have read so many people write here about how things got so much better for EVERYONE involved when the person with HD goes to a NH. When the time is right it seems to be best for the persion with HD as well as the family. I hope everything goes well tomorrow...
June 24, 2011 06:40AM
thank you i just got off the phone with the social worker who in not familar with hd i did leave a pamplet at the psyc cent last night im so nervous she told me there was a 300 bed shortage in delaware county and that they dont place she can try for a court order so he would take his meds oh thanks nothing at all helps i have to go b back later thank you
June 24, 2011 10:07AM
Oh gosh, im so sorry what you're going through, but i think listen to Judy. I think if you absolutely refuse to take him home, they cannot release him with nowhere to go, they will then have to place him, hang in there, and let us know what happens at the meeting today, good luck
June 24, 2011 03:34PM
He has to be able to qualify for the services of a Nursing Home. If he's still walking and he's able to talk, you will have a lot of resistance in placing him into a home.
June 25, 2011 06:15PM
thank you everybody my daughter had surgery yesterday cause she broke her ankle so thats y i didnt post the "court" hearing said that he will stay for 20 days and than another hearing after that it gives me time to look into info about nursing homes and does anyone know medicaid grants for nursing homes thanks for all the prayers their much needed and all r in my prayers
June 25, 2011 08:30PM
Oh wow, that is good news, it sounds like maybe they are trying to work with you a bit, i hope so
June 26, 2011 11:12AM
You have to have your loved on IN the home. The Home takes care of most of it. Once in, you go to the Medicade office and they will work through it with you. One BIG caveat here: The person has to meet a criteria as measured by the NH on a form before the eligibility is valid.

After that, it's not to much of a much.
June 27, 2011 09:33AM
i have to make many calls today but i dont know who to start with do i start with the soc worker at the crisis center where my husband is cause does she fight for the patient or help me theres a case worker there that called me and said my insurance covers free legal consultation or do i call the social worker at the hd society im really scared i cant mess this up my husband can not come home i feel so bad for him but i now know its time for a nh when u deal with hd for 15 years u know the person is changing the look in their eyes just everything im just afraid im not strong enough or i dont come across knowing what im talking about this isnt just for me to get a break he needs 24 hour care i cant be here all the time and physically i cant help ok im going off thanks for listening
June 27, 2011 09:43PM
It wouldn't hurt to call both social worker's. The more info you can get the better. They are the ones in charge of placement. Also, if a legal consult is free I'd take advantage of it. Just stay strong and don't let them send him home. I had to sit next to my husband and tell several people at the NH that he couldn't go home. I felt terrible saying it in front of him, but it had to be done. It's a long road, but it does get better. Hang in there!
June 27, 2011 09:49PM
ok the free legal advice is tomorrow and does anyone have suggestions on the questions i should be asking
thanks for helping me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login