Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Guess what everyone??? smiling smiley I did a speech smiling smiley

Posted by Barb 
Guess what everyone??? smiling smiley I did a speech smiling smiley
May 29, 2011 03:05AM
Guess what everyone??? smiling smiley Ok, i did a speech today smiling smiley Yup, and it was very cool. Ok, so this is how it all goes. Couple weeks ago, me and my sister went to the hd lab tour in vancouver, and it was cool, and i sold tons of raffle tickets for my raffle quilt, and got a pic of me and Dr Hayden, he's so nice. Ok, and Dr Hayden did a speech, and said it's 25 year celebration since they made the genetic blood test for hd, and he did a big celebration speech about that, and the media were invited to come, and i wanted to get on tv lol, but the press didn't show up. But sold lots of tickets, loved the lab tour, and got to meet lots of people. Then my sister brought me to her place in armstrong for a visit, i'm still there for few more days. We went to a farmer's market, and sold tickets there too. Then we went to a meeting for the up and coming okanagan chapter of the hsc, and while i was at that meeting, i found out the secret news that i couldn't tell anyone, until today smiling smiley I will tell you the secret in a minute. And i got a t-shirt at the meeting to, for the run smiling smiley So then, next day, me, my sister and her husband, and their two little grandkids, we went to this place called 3 valley gap, it is near revelstoke, and it was awesome! It was done up like an old pioneer town, and tons of old trains and stuff, and the mountains were out of this world! We have mountains in the lower mainland, but nothing like by revelstoke, it was very cool. Ok, are you guys exhausted yet? lol I am smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley The grandkids ADORE me and my sewing lol, and so they've talked me into making them a purse and a wallet lol. Then i went to an agricultural fair last night, that my sister and her husband helped organize and set up, and they put a lot of work into it, so it was real nice to see what they do with their volunteer work. Ok LOL, so now onto today. TODAY was the hd run in vernon! It was awesome smiling smiley Ok, my sister is sick with a cold, and she expected to come in last in the run, but she came in first! And she dedicated her run to me smiling smiley And she raised almost a thousand dollars for the run in only a few days smiling smiley And, the big secret, that i got to hear at their chapter meeting, was they officially became a chapter that night while i was there, they got the message during their meeting! So that was really cool, and they made the public announcement at the run today, so that's why it was a secret, they wanted to announce it at the run. And i sold raffle tickets, and met lots of Wonderful people at the run. AND i got to make a speech. Yup, someone said, why don't you have her talk about her raffle quilt. So i was invited up to speak, and yup i spoke. I said why i do the quilt, how when i first got hd i couldnt quilt any more, but good care and good meds at ubc, and i was able to do my quilting again that i love doing, and so two years ago did raffle quilt, and all goes to michael hayden lab at ubc. And said didnt do a quilt last year, because my husband passed away, but this year, i'm happy that i'm doing another one. I said i do this for few reasons. Because i have hope in research, because i love being able to do my quilting again, and for hd awareness. I said i don't hide hd from anyone, i say it loud and clear. I said, cancer used to be a bad word, but now, everyone is going around proudly wearing those yellow flower pins for cancer. I said i want hd to be like that. I don't want it to be a bad word any more, but one that the more awareness we bring to it, the more hope there will be. And, i said, i thought my husband would be taking care of me, but no, he is gone. But nobody, ever, will have to worry about how to take care of me. Nobody Ever has to wonder how to get guardianship, anything, and have trouble getting it. My children will never have to worry about my care, ever, because i have taken care of everything ahead of time. I said, that is what you have to do. If you have hd, do what i've done. Get everything taken care of now, so your caregiver or children will never have to do that, ever. You do what you can Now, while you are able. If you need meds, you get meds, if your caregiver wants you to take meds, you Do it, to make life easier for Them. You do what you can Now to make life better for you, and better for your family, and just do what you are able to do now, for your future smiling smiley That was my speech smiling smiley Prepared in less than 5 mins smiling smiley They didnt tell me how much to talk, so as some people know me, given a chance to talk, i will talk LOL smiling smiley Everyone loved what i said, i got hugs, and i sold more tickets lol smiling smiley And met tons of people. And, my sales are now officially at almost $400.00 in just three weeks, and i've met so many people, and i've taken tons of pics. But i need to update my web-blog, and as soon as i do you can all see my pics too. I'm going to try and update it tomorrow night, but i'm not sure yet, i need to do the sewing for the grandkids, and as soon as i have that done i can do my blog and pics smiling smiley And so that's All my news lol smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 03:39AM by Barb.
Re: Guess what everyone??? smiling smiley I did a speech smiling smiley
May 29, 2011 05:27AM
Whoohoo! That's great Barb. I liked the content of your speech. I'm trying to get things figured out, too, for my future, even though it is hard.
eve
May 29, 2011 08:02AM
Wow Barb! I LOVE the content of your speech. Pretty cool how you got that organized in 5 minutes...I don't know if I could have done that! What a great feeling to get that message out there. I feel very proud to "know" you. Reading about all of your adventures makes me feel very happy for you, but also I feel exhausted thinking about it! I'm not sure I'd have the stamina and energy to be able to do all you've done!!! Way to go!!! What fun and what great opportunities you've had especially to be able to around your family and sharing all this with them.
May 29, 2011 05:31PM
Awe, thanks guys smiling smiley Given the opportunity to talk, i talk LOL LOL I just kinda winged it, and well, that's what happened to come out of my mouth lol I love talking lol lol Bet yes, it's been a lot of fun, but i am pretty pooped too lol, but it's a good pooped, but i will do some "recovering" lol, when i get home lol smiling smiley But, it's my first holiday, and a great adventure smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
May 29, 2011 09:39PM
That's so wonderful, Barb! I can tell your excitement in your post! I love to read about all your adventures, too! Awesome job!!! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 09:39PM by mjdelcon.
May 30, 2011 10:04PM
Amazing Barb! You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself, your family and the entire HD community!
June 02, 2011 01:07PM
Barb, I'm so glad that you got to talk and surely inspire so many others, just as you inspire us here. Also very glad you enjoyed yourself. That is half of the inspiration right there - you really seem to enjoy life, and even have energy to do so many wonderful things for others.
June 02, 2011 01:51PM
Wow, Barb! I can feel the positive energy coming through in your post. It is great to hear you are getting out there, spreading the word and having such a good time doing it! Very cool indeed! Good job

Keep on keepin' on!

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login