Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Care Provider Income

Posted by slaythedragon 
Care Provider Income
May 11, 2011 11:02AM
I am on SSI Disability. My husband is my care provider. Is there income available to him for this service?
Re: Care Provider Income
May 12, 2011 07:42AM
I'm not going to speak definatively for the differences in each state run program, but to my knowledge there is NOT any programs that are federally or state funded that pay someone to care for their SPOUSE. Some states do have "caretaker" programs that may pay for a family member (other than a spouse) to help provide care for someone who is a "developmentally disabled adult" (someone who needs care due to mental retardation or something such as cerebral palsy from birth).

As far as I know no organization or government agency pays someone to take care of their own spouse.

For other programs you may qualify for help with you should contact your local or county agency on aging and ask them as HD may fall under one of their programs for assistance with dimentia.
MRO
Re: Care Provider Income
May 12, 2011 10:02AM
If you have a long term care policy you can check that. I am able to get paid for caring for my husband through ours. He had to be evaluated to show he needed care and I was approved to do so. I haven't done so yet, but I can submit my time for making meals, taking him to work out or to the dr's or anything else relating to his care. There is a max amount I can get each year, I think it is like $5k
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login