Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

PGD

Posted by Stacy 
PGD
August 09, 2001 08:41AM
Does anyone have any information on Preinsemination Genetic Diagnosis? I had heard that this was a childbirth option for those of us who would like to have children, but don't want to take the HD test at this time nor take the chance of passing the HD gene to our children. I would like to research this method a bit more in hopes of finding information about cost, success rates, how-to-do it, and clinics/doctors who have done this procedure...so if anyone has any websites, info, etc...I would greatly appreciate it. Also, how could I discuss this with an Ob-Gyn without this information going into my medical records? Is it as simple as just asking the doctor not to make references in my records to family history of HD? or Is there some kind of law that mandiates docs to record info. once it has been divulged? I have worked very hard in making sure there is no information of HD in any of my medical records and certainly don't want to start now.
Joy
RE: PGD
August 10, 2001 04:00PM
Hi Stacy,

I'm not sure how you go about it, but I would suspect that a genetic counselor would be the place to start. There is some information at this site:
[www.givf.com]

As far as the insurance problem, it's tricky. You would have to pay for the procedure out of your own pocket, to keep your insurance company from finding out. And according to the website referenced above, the cost is about $50,000. However, that was in 1996, it certainly could be somewhat cheaper by now.

I think you could discuss it with your OB-Gyn without having her note it in your records, if you asked.

Good luck!
Stacy
RE: PGD
August 11, 2001 03:42PM
Joy,

Thanks for the website! It was very helpful in searching out answers to my questions. We'll see what happens now. Again thank- you

Stacy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login