Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

chorea

Posted by Maree 
chorea
April 23, 2011 09:19PM
Is there any indicator when chorea will appear..... as in being obvious to others. When the arm movement starts is it gradual in one place or does it become obvious over night??? Also with onset ....once onset start it's started it isn't stop and go ???
Re: chorea
April 23, 2011 09:36PM
Those are good questions. Unfortunately the answers are less so.

It seems to many of us that onset progresses in a series of plateaus. The brain is an amazing creation that has the ability to adapt to damage. In HD it demonstrates an ability to adapt to a range of progressive damage at which point there seems to be a sudden decline. Then there is another plateau that the brain seems to be able to adapt to until it can again no longer do so.

Regarding your first question, chorea isn't always the first indicator of onset. In fact, onset can often be identified years before the onset of chorea. I've read stories where those HD+ felt that they could sense the disease in their muscles before it was obvious to others.

In many people chorea isn't the primary symptom and may not manifest itself until well into progression. In this case the emotional and psychological symptoms will be primary.

Steve
Coffee and computer
April 23, 2011 09:46PM
Thank you Steve. I was wondering wheather there was some kind of sensation in the arms before movement began. I feel like these are crazy questions but I was wondering as the cells die in our brains does this then kill off the nerves in our arms and can you feel that happening....is that the reason why some people feel weakness?? Do you just feel normal and have movements or do you feel the other changes in your body?
April 23, 2011 11:23PM
I've had hd 8-10 years and my movements are very mild. I think it used to be a little worse but fish oil is helping. fish oil also helped my
mom and she had much worse ones. I definately think there are ups and downs. I have week arms but I dont have any pain in my body.
some people may be different I dont think if you met me it would be that obviouse.
My worse symtoms are extreme tiredness insomnia and awful auto immune such as allergies that wont stop.
I also get stessed easily and sometiimes depressed.
Laura
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login