Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Risperidone

Posted by mmebrady 
Risperidone
April 22, 2011 06:47PM
Does anyone have any experience with risperidone used to treat HD?

Thanks
Re: Risperidone
April 22, 2011 06:51PM
Yes, my late mother in law did very well on it. Not only did the psychiatric problems disappear but she improved cognitively. She thought, we all thought, that she was hard of hearing. We would have to speak loudly and slowly to her or she wouldn't 'hear' us. After she went on the resperidone we were astonished to be able to have normal conversations in normal tones. Apparently it helped speed up what was actually slow processing. Before resperidone she had not been taking any meds so I know it was the resperidone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 06:54AM by Marsha.
April 22, 2011 08:20PM
My wife used it for 5 years. It help a lot with dilutions/moods and chorea in her case. It's effective for that on occasion.
April 22, 2011 09:25PM
Both of my sons take Risperdone and it has helped with the irritability and rages. Minimal (if any) side effects.

Carla
April 26, 2011 09:12AM
My husband takes Risperidone, which helps with both the emotional (rage) and movement symptoms of his HD. He had been on 4mg per day for a while and has just increased to 6, with some good results. He is recently more interested in activities, seems cog better, seems MUCH more even tempered on the increase. He does report having less energy now, so we are exploring different things to combat that. Overall it has been good in his case, but each case is different.

Hope this helps.
Patty
April 26, 2011 11:47AM
I just have a different twist on this. It shows how medications used for HD are not a "one size fits all'' as is the case in many medications
used for various reasons/illnesses.

My husband was put on risperdol and it did solve the problems we were having, however, he was so sedated it was like having a zombie
in the home.

We quit using the risperdal and instead tried zyprexa (olanzapine) which solved the problems but didn't make him a zombie.

If risperdal doesn't work you might try zyprexa.
April 27, 2011 06:34AM
thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind. You all have such good suggestions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login