Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Hello i am new to this site

Posted by leah grant 
Hello i am new to this site
April 10, 2011 05:35PM
Hello my name is leah and i am new to this site. i live in Dallas TX . HD runs in my family my mom at the age of 40 past away 3yers ago with HD i was only 17 at the time.i miss her so much thhis is the first time i have talked about her passing i have only ben to her grave once its nnot easy to talk to my family about it they just keep to themselfs and none of my friends understand it. When i was 14 i got pregnant and it was real hard for me but i got tested for the sake of my new child i understod this was not somthing i wanted to pass on to my own if i had HD so i got tested and the wait seemed like a life time it came back negitive. But now my two brothers austin 16 and justin 24 are showing sings of HD and refuse to get tested. sens my mom has past two of my yungest cousins have joined her in the sky i have no ants nor uncles due to this disease. I joined this site so i can talk to ppl who understand and maybe i will be able to cope witth my moms passing its been 3 years and it still hurts i have yet to cry and i think its time.
Re: Hello i am new to this site
April 10, 2011 06:21PM
Leah-
I am sorry you are going through all you are going through but you will get through it.

I am glad you found this site as you will have alot of friends who will always be here for you and can answer many questions you have,
give their opinions and offer you guidance when needed.

Sharon
April 10, 2011 06:52PM
Welcome. As you know, it is a horrible disease that destroys families, but there is great support on this board. Hope we can help ease your pain just a little
April 10, 2011 07:15PM
Hey there, so sorry to hear about your mom. Is your dad in the picture at all?
April 10, 2011 07:38PM
You are going through so much. I am so sorry. Do you have any other family that could help you talk to your brothers?
April 11, 2011 12:30PM
Hello Leah. I am sorry for your reasons for being here, but glad you've found this site.

Sounds like you've had to deal with an awful lot already in your young life; I'm so sorry you feel like your brothers' health is on your shoulders too.

You also don't KNOW anything yet. Plenty of people have suspected HD in themselves or loved ones, only to be wrong. It's hard not to symptom hunt, and early HD shares symptoms with lots of other things.

I'm in my 30's, but I "diagnosed" my Mom, and that was a HUGE weight on my shoulders, even WITH my Dad in the picture and a very supportive husband of my own. Still when I told my Dad, he has opted so far to manage the situation without telling her, and not upset her by insisting she go to the doc. He came to that conclusion after speaking with a local HDSA chapter's social worker.

Who is the guardian of your younger brother? Can you talk to that person and put the burden on them instead (or share it at least)? And/or do you have a similar local chapter with a social worker?
April 11, 2011 09:33PM
Welcome Leah,

Glad you found us.

Carla
Re: thanx all of you
April 12, 2011 02:00AM
Thanx all of you for welcoming me. The only family i have left here in Texas is my dad ,brothers,and grandma.Its nice to be able to talk to ppl who know where im coming from.And yes it does feel like a huge weight on my shoulders i have talked to my brother but he just gets upset with me so i just leave it alone. the last thing i want to do is lose someone else im close to.My dad is the one who has guardian ship of my brother and he realy never talks to me. I love him but he has his own probs to work on so i dont push him to talk to me i think when he is ready he will.The best thing i can do is just keep praying for my brothers.The HD comes from my moms side of the family she got it from her dad who got it from his mom an then it just goes on from there.I do have one cousin her name is crystel an she is 23 an has HD her mom put her in a nursing home and i just dont agree. I feel if they are sick you should spend as much time with as you can but on the outher hand i do know how hard it can be to take care of someone who has HD me and my grandma did it for a long time. i helped her take care of my mom and grandpa i even quit school to help her.I remember my mom would only let me change her and bathe her if i was not home she would wait for me to get ther lol she was so stubern.
April 12, 2011 08:37AM
Hi Leah - I am so sorry about the loss of your mom and the difficult situation with your brothers and dad. You do have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders - and you are a mom too... I am glad you found this site - it is a great place to get questions answered and find support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login