Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

The other shoe dropped...

Posted by mmebrady 
The other shoe dropped...
April 09, 2011 08:33PM
Well, at least I know I can read him. This time he's convinced I am CURRENTLY cheating on him. Sigh....I need better coping skills - I know it's the HD, but it still hurts. Maybe I should consider becoming an armadillo-- better armor....
Re: The other shoe dropped...
April 09, 2011 09:35PM
It is the HD - I have been there. In our case with some understanding, lots of patience, some time and zyprexa we are beyond that and
enjoying each other. I hope you can get there as well.
You are currect - it is the HD talking, not him and it is real to him so some understanding and talking and a medication can be of great help.
Good luck to you - you too will get through this.
April 10, 2011 07:36AM
Thanks Shar. He goes back to the doctor next week. Maybe some new meds.....if he'll take them....
April 10, 2011 08:59AM
One thing you might consider and I have done this as well. You might talk to the dr prior to the appt to let them know what is going on so he will have a better understanding when your husband comes in. You might mention that you have heard of say "zyprexa" or whatever medication you
may be aware of that might help. They are not always aware of medications that help with HD unless they are very familiar with it and your dr
may be, I don't know. I have talked to the dr or nurse prior to the appt or I have typed a note to give to the dr when I checked in. I felt bad doing
this but I knew if I said what I needed to that my husband may get upset or not cooperate.
My husband wasn't willing to take medications either but we had a wonderful dr who told my husband that HD took away certain chemicals in
the brain and this particular medication replaced some of them. He asked my husband if he would try the medication to see how it went. My husband did try them and I think felt better about himself and it was a godsend to me.
Good luck.
Sharon
April 10, 2011 06:57PM
Some very good ideas, thank you. His doctors (Thank God) are very familiar with HD -- there is a Center for Excellence about an hour and a half from where I live, about 2 hours from where my boyfriend lives.

My next question, is how do you get to the point where you stop trying to reason and use logic with a pHD? He just seems so normal a lot of the time (except for the balance and movement issues), and even when I'm expecting the mood swings and obsessional suspicions, I am still hurt by them, and try to argue from a point of logic that he's not making any sense. I think we're mostly out the other side of this one, but I KNOW it's the disease, so why can't I stop trying to argue with him about that? I didn't handle this one very well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login