Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Twitches

Posted by At Risk 
Twitches
August 07, 2001 04:47PM
I am a 31 year old at risk male. My mother is in the later stages of HD.

The last 2-3 months or so I have noticed twiches in my legs and arms. Like a musle jump of some sort. I have no other symptoms except my doctor told me that my reflexes are a little sensitve, but he says I could have been that way all my life. These twitches started occuring after my doctor visit so I couldn't ask him about them.

Is this just the start?
RE: Twitches
August 07, 2001 05:54PM
Probably not. I have no facts to support this but I know my wife and others who have HD often don't realize they twitch. I twitch occassionally but I'm quite aware when it occurs. Many of those that are at risk get worried because they find themselves twitching and are surprised when they test negative. You're still a little young to start showing symptoms so I'd go with the doctor's diagnosis and not worry about the possibility of HD. The twitching may even be caused by stress (it seems to be with me) so do what you can to relax.

Steve
August 10, 2001 10:20AM

I am at risk and I constantly think that every little twitch and wrong move means that I am getting HD. I know that when I am tired makes it all worse and makes me much more klutzy feeling. When I am really tired sometimes, my hands want to shake but I know that is from the type of work that I do, not HD. And just stessing out thinking that you have HD will make you twitch.

Some might disagree with me on this, but I think there is no certain age when you can start showing signs of HD. It all depends on the person, not what is the supposed "norm" for things. I know that my Mom probably had HD when she was 25, but she wasn't diagnosed till much later.

debbie

Dee
August 13, 2001 11:29AM
Hi...
I am also at-risk. Sometimes I think I am beginning to show symptoms when I have a twitch or forget something. I agree with Debbie about being stressed. I notice when I've had a really stressful day my hands will shake a bit and I get frustrated more easily. It is very common for at-risk individuals to observe "symptoms" in themselves. I've had to tell myself to stop "symptom watching" because I was stressing myself out! After that, I've noticed less "symptoms" in myself.
Perhaps the following website will help you understand why us at-risks do and feel the way we do. It was written by Nancy Wexler, who is also at-risk, in 1979 (before the genetic test for HD was available) but I think it is still a great reference.
All I can say is, other than taking the gene test, there is no way of knowing whether you're symptomatic or just experiencing normal stress.
My best to you!

Dee

Genetic "Russian Roulette"
The Experience of Being "At Risk" for Huntington's Disease:
[www.hdfoundation.org]
August 15, 2001 08:39PM
I'm surely no expert on the subject but I noticed my husband having twitches in his hands and a tick in his face prior to any other noticed symptoms he had of Huntingtons. He did not notice these himself. He was diagnosed in his 30's and died at 48. I noticed my daughter having twitches in her face before she noticed anything. About a year later she started noticing herself that when she was still she would twitch. (usually at night) I noted with both that the twitching seemed worse when tired or nervous. I agree that there is no set age for Huntington's to start. My daughter is now 27 and has been showing symptoms for several years. Both of them also started showing other symptoms soon after the twitching, so it wasn;t one symptom in itself, but was followed by emotional and concentration problems. My daughter has recently started taking a glyconutritional supplement and says that the twitching has improved since that time.

August 30, 2001 10:47PM
my husband pHD started with finger taps then a year or so later twiching and mouth movements...he was around 36 when I noticed the taping. He is 42 now.
His dad has no muscle movements, he has the ridgety and alot of emotion/agravation/paranoia prombelms his symptons set in around 65 or so.

Both my husband and his dad started showing promblems after trama in their lives...
my hubby almost died in a semi wreck and his dad had a stroke.

I look at my older sons 18 and 19 and try not to watch for signs....
and life goes on and by Gods grace we make the best of it..
Diane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login