Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

How to handle upcoming doc appt for yet-undiagnosed Mom

Posted by smiling sara 
How to handle upcoming doc appt for yet-undiagnosed Mom
April 04, 2011 03:48PM
Mom has not seen a doc since I began to "suspect" she has HD, which was about 18 months ago. Dad has often encouraged her to go since she never feels well (plus it was a condition of approval when they applied for LTC insurance), but until last week she has refused.

Now she has an appt in a couple of weeks and I'm nervous. I really hope the doc doesn't blurt out HD, since she is currently not on any anti-depressant. So I'd love to recommend my Dad contact the docs ahead of time and have some kind of plan.

On the other hand, if nobody calls attention to it, and she happens to NOT be diagnosed/suspected by the docs, she MAY still be able to get LTC insurance.... But I think this is a long shot.

Yet, since we've waited so long for her to agree to go to the doc, and realize it could be a long time again, I also wonder if "we" should make the most of this opportunity, and wonder what that could be.... (I'm not going. Dad's taking her.)

Any advice???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2011 07:24AM by smiling sara.
db
Re: How to handle upcoming doc appt for yet-undiagnosed Mom
April 04, 2011 07:23PM
I don't have any big suggestions ; but , a little one . Phone the Doctor ahead of time and leave a message or if possible talk to the DX. himself . And explain that it would be a real help if he made an ongoing follow up appointment for your Mom , after this one . We found if the DX. said to my Mom , that she needed to be seen on a specific date , she tended to show up for the app.'s . Even with this method there were times she would not go . But , she made more app.'s than she missed . My heart goes out to you , I remember how challenging it was getting Mom to go to app.'s . I wish you well. db
April 05, 2011 08:08AM
I wrote a letter detailing issues when my husband switched Neuro's last summer. I made sure to include in the letter that the letter was for his eyes only. It helped that I had a copy of his medical POA. Unfortunately if you don't have one for mom the doctor may not be able to respond to your letter. That doesn't mean they wont read it or take action. Just means the law prevents them from discussing it with you without your mom's permission.

If your trying to get LTC insurance you may not want that letter in her medical records. You may have to wait until after she's approved.
eve
April 05, 2011 08:20AM
It would be sweet if she could get the LTC insurance. I have my doubts, but on the other hand, some doctors don't think about HD especially if she's older so maybe there's a shot. My FIL was diagnosed in his 70's and he had chorea (mild) in his 60's at least. He saw many doctors until finally one figured out it he was pHD (but there's also no family history). So maybe there's a chance for your mom to get the insurance.
I agree with db that the doctor mentioning a follow up appointment is needed would be great ...especially if it's hard to get her to go. The doctor could plant the seed in her mind, "I need to see you again in X amount of weeks/months." so she gets the idea she has to go back again in the near future instead of months/years from now. In the future (or maybe even now) there might be some meds that could help her so it'd be good to get her in the habit of going to the doctor.
So I wouldn't mention to the doctor about the HD suspicions at this time. However, I understand wanting to make the most of the appointment and the fact she agrees to go, but I say take the chance for insurance. But I also understand how she might be devistated to get the HD diagnosis without preparation so this is the risky trade-off in you not contacting the doctor and making a plan ahead of time. Hmmm...I can see both sides of this. I hope others give their opinion about this too. Sorry Sara. I think my advice hasn't helped since I'm not sure what I'd do either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login