Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Explanation of apathy trouble iniating activities and causes

Posted by MelissaB 
Explanation of apathy trouble iniating activities and causes
March 09, 2011 08:39PM
Just wondering if anyone can give a simple explanation of apathy and initiating activities and what causes that in HD?
Thanks,
Melissa
Re: Explanation of apathy trouble iniating activities and causes
March 09, 2011 10:12PM
This is how my doctor explained it to me. She said when we have an idea to do something, a neuron with that idea is fired off, and it's supposed to land in the area that then helps you execute that idea, but with hd, the neurons dont land where they are supposed to, because they mis-fire, that is why sometimes we can have to idea to do something, but it feels like the thought is just racing around in circles in our head, because the neuron isn't landing where it needs to to execute the idea. I have found that if i write the to-do thing down, it stops the thought from running around in my head, and helps me execute the idea too.
March 10, 2011 06:03AM
Thanks for explaining that, Barb. I wondered, too, why that happens. MelissaB, do you have any pets? I mentioned in a post awhile back that one of my dogs is very good at helping me initiate by simply coming to me when I'm in that state of wanting to get up, but not having the tip off to get up. As soon as he comes to me and pokes his nose on me, I am up and at 'em. Of course, I give him a thump and a hug, so he knows that he's done the right thing. I also like to keep lists.
db
March 19, 2011 01:09PM
I really appreciate those thoughts . Thanks Barb and Alice . Sharing my heart db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login