Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Any ideas?

Posted by Maggie 
Any ideas?
February 27, 2011 03:22PM
I was up at 5:00am one day about three weeks ago and heard Tony get up and go into the kitchen. I went to check on him and he was sitting there having a glass of water. I asked him how he was and he said he was fine but when he turned and faced me I saw that he had a huge knot on his forehead. It was the size of a hen?s egg! I asked him what happened and he did not know. I asked him if he had fallen and he said that he must have.

Within the next few hours the knot turned blue, red and black and stretched from the center of his forehead all the way down almost to his jaw. I have never seen such a horrible bruise.

It has gone away now. I watched him carefully and he did not seem to have any problems except for the soreness and his eye swelling. He finally admitted that he had a headache.

But the strange thing is that he does not know what happened. He doesn?t remember falling or hitting anything. He does not remember which room he was in when it happened. He does not remember getting up from the floor or getting to the kitchen. And, no, he had not been drinking! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any ideas? Maybe he fell off the bed in his sleep, but still, he did not remember getting up and going to the kitchen.
Re: Any ideas?
February 27, 2011 04:24PM
Maggie,

Maybe he had a slight concussion and blanked out the memory of the fall. That must have been so frightening for both of you.

Tim has fallen hard a couple of times and doesn't know how he fell. That's the only thing I can think of.

Take it easy,

Carla
February 27, 2011 09:17PM
Maggie,

I agree with Carla. He probably did have a concussion. Sounds like a pretty bad fall. My husband suffered a TBI a few years back and remembers nothing. He also totally lost his memory about what happened the week before his injury. It was significant too because his Mom had been in the hospital.
February 28, 2011 03:05AM
Maggie, it's so nice to see you smiling smiley I've been wondering how you are. When my daughter Jen was little, she tripped and fell and hit her head, not very hard at all, but she did get a slight concussion from it, and she was never able to remember anything before or after the fall, she like forgot several hours, and never did remember them, but the rest of her memory was fine. The doc said this can happen with a concussion, and that it wasnt anything to worry about. I would say that with the size of goose egg that Tony got, that he prob had a concussion for sure.
February 28, 2011 07:20AM
Maggie, my Phd husband has the same things happen to him. He always says he doesn't remember how he got hurt. I come home from work and his nose is cut across the bridge and bruised. I say "what happened to your nose? I go thru a few suggestions as to what he might have done?" and he just says he doesn't know how it happened. If I give suggestions as to maybe how it happened, he says "yeah, that might have been what happened". I don't ever know and he usually doesn't ever remember. I find this very strange also? It amazes me how he doesn't remember these things but, you can ask him something like, what tv channel (300 channel selection) is so and so station and he can tell you-STRANGE how this disease affects the brain and how it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 07:22AM by LizzieAnn.
February 28, 2011 12:25PM
Maggie,

good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about tony's fall. It does sound like a concussion to me. However, after hearing the last post, it may be an HD thing. Did Tony get into the medication trials yet?

Paula
February 28, 2011 05:41PM
It sounds like a concussion. Thanks for your input. I didn?t take him to the ER because I couldn?t. That night we had one of the worst and strangest storms that I have ever seen. First we got sleet and then 12 inches of snow. We had thunder and lightning and a lot of wind. The snow drifts were up to three or four feet in places because of the strong winds. Our neighborhood has hills and winding streets and are impossible in a normal snow. Even the ambulances were not running. The National Guard was assisting in extreme emergencies. We?re not equipped to handle that kind of snow in Oklahoma like you northern guys are.

My son had a concussion from an accident in basketball once and I just watched for all the signs that the neurologist had told me to look for in him, but Tony?s eyes looked okay etc. I also had a concussion from an accident but felt normal except for the headache, of course. It was the next day that I was able to see the problem. It was payday at work and I sat down to sign the paychecks and discovered I could not sign my name. Just could not remember how to do it.

Thanks for thinking of us. We are doing alright. We have not heard anything about Huntexil.
February 28, 2011 05:56PM
Maggie, whatever happened with the latest announcement, that anyone that was in the first trial can go in this newer trial, that wont have any placebo's in it? I feel that they have let you and Tony, and the whole hd communty down.
February 28, 2011 06:04PM
I don?t know. I just try to remember that Tony said before he started the trial that he was doing it to help others who were traveling down the road behind him and he did not expect to benefit in the long term. But it is hard to get positive emails saying how good the progress is and then not have it happen.
February 28, 2011 06:09PM
I'm so sorry Maggie, ive wanted to ask for a long time, but was scared that you would have to say again that nothing is happening. Yes, Tony did do something good for all of us
March 01, 2011 12:41PM
Hi Maggie.
I usually don't remember getting hit or falling. I also have desensitised skin so check my skin for bruises and cuts which I don't notice. I hit my head so hard getting in and out of the car often . There is a seat which installs in the car and turns outwards to sit down then it moves into the car.

[www.themobilityresource.com]

It does not fit in our saturn otherwise I would have one. I probably hit m head two or three times on the car frame a week, and sometimes get massive headaches. The Ont med system just does not care that I hit my head like that.
love
Dusty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 12:46PM by dustyblues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login